• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remote Party ID not generated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Schmidt

Reaction score
Hi,

I created a generic trunk with the options shown in the screen shot. I requested that the remote party ID should contain the "caller" info and I also setup custom outbound options for the "called".

Yet, the provider claims that he does NOT see ANY Remote Party ID header on his CISCO SIP gateway!?

I then checked the 3CXPhoneSystem.trace.log and I see the following header for the test call I placed:

17:25:05.499|.\SLServer.cpp(382)|Log5|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::SetRemoteParty:[MS210003] C:4.1:Answer provided. Connection(transcoding mode):xxx.xxx.xxx.130:7334(7335)
... and a little below that ...
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.130:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-d87543-6835fe5aaf26fd5c-1--d87543-;rport
Max-Forwards: 70
Route: <sip:eek:utbound1.wholesale.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.net:5060;lr>
To: <sip:[email protected]:5060>
Call-ID: ZWY0ZjZmNGMyOGEwMjM1ZDllNTIwMWNhOWViNmIzMDY.
CSeq: 1 INVITE
Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, OPTIONS, BYE, REGISTER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, REFER, INFO
Content-Type: application/sdp
User-Agent: 3CXPhoneSystem 5.1.4510.0
Content-Length: 329

I scanned for "Remote" in the log and nowhere do I see a remote party id being generated?

Is this a bug? Are all of these options ignored? If so, why can I set them?

I do not see the whole page - your attachment ends before, but you should also set 'Remote-Party-ID: Host/Port' part to GWHostPort (for example).

Hi Archie:

sorry 'bout that.

a)I re-uploaded the screen shot to the ORIGINAL post (scroll back to see the previous message!). I believe all my Remote Party ID settings are there...! Can you please advise why the Remote Party ID header apparently is not generated?

b) I'm also attaching the "line options" screen for that VOIP generic trunk. I specified a "caller ID" there. WHAT does 3CX does with that field? Where does it "put" it?

Best Regards,
Andy

Andy Schmidt said:
a)I re-uploaded the screen shot to the ORIGINAL post (scroll back to see the previous message!). I believe all my Remote Party ID settings are there...! Can you please advise why the Remote Party ID header apparently is not generated?

Yes, I suppose you haven't defined outbound proxy for your voip provider. So, better use GWHostPort instead of OutHostPort. I think your provider doesn't care about that part anyway.

b) I'm also attaching the "line options" screen for that VOIP generic trunk. I specified a "caller ID" there. WHAT does 3CX does with that field? Where does it "put" it?

Best Regards,
Andy

Caller ID is put into CallerName variable on outgoing calls, if I remeber correctly. (If I'm wrong than it is in CallerNum :) )

Hi,

Sorry if I seem "dense". I'm just not really clear what your answer implies.

>> I suppose you haven't defined outbound proxy for your voip provider. <<

I believe I do? Enclosed another screen shot.

>> better use GWHostPort instead of OutHostPort <<

Hm, OutHostPort seems to CORRECTLY insert the public IP of our 3CX server when used in the Contact Host part?

Are you saying the "Remote Party ID" is only generated if "GWHostPort" is chosen? If that's the case, why do you even offer the other choices if they can't be used?

I'm not really clear if your reply is meant to fix the problem that apparently NO Remote Party ID header is generated despite having been requested in the "location of destination number" setting (as type "called") AND in the "outbound parameters" (as type "caller").

>> Caller ID is put into CallerName variable on outgoing calls, if I remeber correctly. (If I'm wrong than it is in CallerNum) <<

Uh, so these "variables" would be in the SIP request itself, not a header value?

Thank you for your patience with me. I'm totally new to this technology so I'm tyring to put all the pieces together in my head!

Best Regards,
Andy

Andy Schmidt said:
Sorry if I seem "dense". I'm just not really clear what your answer implies.

It's OK and it is proper questions which I suppose aren't properly explained in our documentation. But problem is that I'm not technical writer and sometimes just unable to explain some things. Also, mind, that english is not my native language and it makes things even more complex. So, usually I'm as brief as possible.

>> I suppose you haven't defined outbound proxy for your voip provider. <<

I believe I do? Enclosed another screen shot.

No, Outbound proxy settings should look like this:

Are you saying the "Remote Party ID" is only generated if "GWHostPort" is chosen? If that's the case, why do you even offer the other choices if they can't be used?

No, it should be generated if any proper address for host/port is provided.
Re choices: yes, I know that our interface was poorly designed in that area. I've asked our web interface designers to provide possibility to restrict some values to be sepcified depending on header. But... We definitely will improve that area and provide proper detailed documentation.

I'm not really clear if your reply is meant to fix the problem that apparently NO Remote Party ID header is generated despite having been requested in the "location of destination number" setting (as type "called") AND in the "outbound parameters" (as type "caller").

Sorry, didn't get it at all.

>> Caller ID is put into CallerName variable on outgoing calls, if I remeber correctly. (If I'm wrong than it is in CallerNum) <<

Uh, so these "variables" would be in the SIP request itself, not a header value?

No, these variables will appear in headers' values as soon as they are specified in outbound parameters table. Mind that even empty table entry has associated some default variable, so even completely clean table still will produce valid INVITE. But using that table you can override some header values. Should remind that PBX doesn't validate table input (except some basic checks on manual input), so fiddling with that it's possible to make outgoing INVITEs improperly formed.

Hi Archie:

Sorry - I had forgotten to attach my screenshot with the outbound proxy when I sent the previous message. I have since updated my previous message and you can view it now by scrolling back. It looks JUST like yours!? (except, of course, it has the FQDN of IDV not sipgate). The FQDN is valid - because I CAN place calls - it's just that the CallerID is not received by the VOIP provider.

So - now we're back to my original report/question:

Why is the Remote Party ID not generated?
My provider doesn't see it and didn't see it in the trace entry that I posted in the first message.

To summarize what you and I worked through thus far:

- I do have an outbound proxy defined (see previous screen shot)
- I do have a "valid" host defined in the Remote Party ID "host" portion of the "outbound parameters". You confirmed that I can use "OutHostPort", which is what I have configured.
- I also chose the Remote Party ID option in the "location of destination number" setting.

My previous messages have complete screenshot of all options. If you need any other screenshots or files, I'll be happy to upload provide. If not, what are the next steps to get someone at 3CX to investigate why the Remote Party ID is not generated when it should?

Actually, I've just found a bug. OutHostPort doesn't work at all (yes, I remember it worked for Contact. but it worked only because it just used default variable instead of absent OutHostPort, and for RPID there's no default variable). So, please, use GWHostPort (host/port of provider), or ContactUri (host/port of PBX).

Where is CallerID actually used?

archie said:
Caller ID is put into CallerName variable on outgoing calls, if I remeber correctly. (If I'm wrong than it is in CallerNum :) )

Hm - it's neither. To test, I configured my FROM header with:

- Display Name = CallerName
- User Part = CallerNum
- Host Part = GWHostPort

and the result is:

So apparently you use the "Extension" as CallerName and the VOIP line's "Virtual Extension/Internal Number" or "External ID/External Number" as the CallerNum (I have no clue what these two are supposed to be, so I left them both as the default of 10000).

So the question remains: Under line configuration, Other Options you have a field called "Outbound CallerID". Where is that used?

archie said:
I've just found a bug. OutHostPort doesn't work at all).

The good news is: I can confirm that. A choice different than OutHostPort will finally generate:

Remote-Party-ID: "10000"<sip:[email protected]>;party=calling

archie said:
use GWHostPort (host/port of provider), or ContactUri (host/port of PBX).

Well the BAD news is, ContactURI is ALSO broken. I confirmed that earlier in the Contact field.
If I define "ContactURI" in Contact or in Remote Party, then it is replaced with "0.0.0.0" - which clearly is BOGUS and causes problems with notifications. (Remember, my host has a static public IP address, thus does not use NAT or STUN).

So it seems this entire piece of programming needs to be cleaned up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.