• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remote phone auto-provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccomley

Reaction score
I just can't get autoprovision to work on remote (stun) connected phones.

This is not good given 3CX are actively pushing "host us on cloud servers" now!

Here's the setup:-

3CX v15 Linux edition running on a Google ComputEngine server.
Yealink T42, T40, or T27 phones.
No SBC (we will be putting one in for some customers, but the main reason I'm setting THIS particular server up is to offer single extensions to "work from home" type customers, so no SBC should be required)

I'm creating the extension, then adding the appropriate model phone in Provisioning. Cut'n'paste the MAC address from the phone GUI into the Provision Phone. Set it up "Direct SIP (STUN) Remote", at which point 3CX automaticallt selects the WAN i/f.

The 3cx screen also presents at this point the provisioning URL, which I copy and paste into the Server URL field on the "Autoprovisioning" page of the phone.

I am remembering to untick the "lan only" permission for the extension.

Then I try clicking the "Autoprovision Now" button, and the phone says it's done it.
But it hasn't.

I've tried rebooting the phone, it's supposed to auto-provision on reboot.
But it doesn't.

I've tried going away and doing something else and giving it time.
But it doesn't.

I called 3CX support. They talked me through turning off the "Only Accept Trusted Certificates" option in the Security Tab. And that worked.

For one day and two phones only! Now I'm trying it again on a new phone with that option already selected, and it doesn't work.

ONE TIME the PBX log says its' been asked for and has sent the config, but, the phone didn't get it.

I've checked the phone isn't getting itself blacklisted.

I'm utterly at a loss. I can't see why it works one day and not the next. And frankly unless I can make it work reliably, every time, it's not really something I can put in front of a customer!!

I just can't get autoprovision to work on remote (stun) connected phones.

This is not good given 3CX are actively pushing "host us on cloud servers" now!

Here's the setup:-

3CX v15 Linux edition running on a Google ComputEngine server.
Yealink T42, T40, or T27 phones.
No SBC (we will be putting one in for some customers, but the main reason I'm setting THIS particular server up is to offer single extensions to "work from home" type customers, so no SBC should be required)

I'm creating the extension, then adding the appropriate model phone in Provisioning. Cut'n'paste the MAC address from the phone GUI into the Provision Phone. Set it up "Direct SIP (STUN) Remote", at which point 3CX automaticallt selects the WAN i/f.

The 3cx screen also presents at this point the provisioning URL, which I copy and paste into the Server URL field on the "Autoprovisioning" page of the phone.

I am remembering to untick the "lan only" permission for the extension.

Then I try clicking the "Autoprovision Now" button, and the phone says it's done it.
But it hasn't.

I've tried rebooting the phone, it's supposed to auto-provision on reboot.
But it doesn't.

I've tried going away and doing something else and giving it time.
But it doesn't.

I called 3CX support. They talked me through turning off the "Only Accept Trusted Certificates" option in the Security Tab. And that worked.

For one day and two phones only! Now I'm trying it again on a new phone with that option already selected, and it doesn't work.

ONE TIME the PBX log says its' been asked for and has sent the config, but, the phone didn't get it.

I've checked the phone isn't getting itself blacklisted.

I'm utterly at a loss. I can't see why it works one day and not the next. And frankly unless I can make it work reliably, every time, it's not really something I can put in front of a customer!!
I'm not sure if i got your point, Try to change the ip of the phone that is not getting provisioned. give the phone another IP and see if they work. thanks

Also make sure that all phone have an static IP , and the range of IP which be listed on your Cloud firewall, make sure it did not block.

Hello @ccomley

Also what firmware are the phones running and what FQDN are you using? A 3CX provided one or your own?
Take the provisioning link of the phone and add the mac address of the phone behind it followed by .cfg.
e.g. https: //yourfqdn:5001/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxx/MACAdress.cfg
type in a browser in the remote site. Can you download the file?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Yiannis - thanks for diving in.

What's most annoying is I can't get *consistent* results.

prevoiusly it's eventually worked, but this one stubbornly refuses to chime in. The server log even shows teh attempt but no config is being fetched.

The 3CX server is Linux, hosted on a google compute engine, it has a 3CX provided FQDN.

The current phone I'm working with is a Yealink T42. It's on 29.80.0.130, and I have disabled "Only Accept Trusted Certificates".

I have tried increasing the timeout value on the Autoprovision screen. I'm not sure this works, however, as when it says it's doing it, it comes back "Operation Completed" in far less time than the time-out time, but, the config is not changed! Also, except once, the server does NOT log any attempt in the Event Log.

This *is* remote - the server is on a Google VM, so there's no "Local" option open to me. Otherwise I could've prov'd it locally then switched it to remote. Of course, I could configure it by hand but that wont help when someone wants to tinker with BLFs or something...

Yes, if I add the MAC address (and .cfg) to the provisioning string, the browser fetches a config file (which looks valid in Notepad++ best I can tell, has the correct Account-1 details in it at least!!)

ok that means that you can reach the server and the config file is generated upon request. So either the phone is not sending the request or does not get the reply. With the 3CX FQDN and the firmware you are on you should not have to disable trusted certificates. Edit the extension an press ok then navigate to dashboard and check under the event log. Do you see RPS request sent successfully?
Was there an attempt to provision this phone to a different server using RPS recently?

Ah! I think I've sussed it!

Because I'm pre-configuring the phone in our office before sending it to the customer.... I have, or had, Opt-66 set on our inhouse DHCP pointing at our in-house 3CX server.

Despite using Multicast these days it looks like the phone checks Opt-66 *first* and if it gets something, it doesn't check the Remote Provisioning service so stops dead.

I've removed Opt-66 from our house DHCP server and it has at once provisioned! Let's hope this time I really have the correct "formula" I'll try another...

ok that means that you can reach the server and the config file is generated upon request. So either the phone is not sending the request or does not get the reply. With the 3CX FQDN and the firmware you are on you should not have to disable trusted certificates. Edit the extension an press ok then navigate to dashboard and check under the event log. Do you see RPS request sent successfully?
Was there an attempt to provision this phone to a different server using RPS recently?

I want to post an audio file which include a protocol of calls, call queue , ringing style.. , i have recorded it from a reputable company for demonstration purpose. i want to send it to you to see if the same can perform on 3CX, but i dont want to send it here in public because of the audio which mention company name of the company. how to send in private? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGPMH
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.