Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Remote phones STUN or SBC

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Philip Darnell, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip Darnell

Philip Darnell New Member

Hi

I have a setup with 20 remote extensions all on one site.

I Have them setup as STUN at the minute with port forwarding setup on the router and sometimes certain phones aren't ringing straight away and having a few issues.

Should STUN work okay for 20 phones on one site?
    Or would I be better with an SBC?

cydney likes this.
  2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Issues may arise from using SIP ALG in remote site router or NAT not being handled directly -- some routers will not modify the port, so you can't have more than one remote extension using local port 5060.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Philip Darnell

Thanks for the reply, I've disabled SIP ALG.
    As far as I'm aware NAT is being handled correctly, I have setup port forwarding for the local SIP ports and given each phone a different local SIP Port

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

At remote site you should not forward any ports by default. This could be an issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Philip Darnell

So at the remote site I don't need to open the SIP ports for the phones?

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Yes, exactly.
    Nothing.

You can leave each remote phone to use different local SIP port, it is safe.
    For STUN server in your remote phones you can use the public IP address of your PBX (if static) at port 5060.

#6 sip.bg, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Without an SBC, and depending on the make/model router, there can be audio issues (as in lack of), when calling extension to extension at the remote location. Port forwarding should not be necessary, but if the sets are using static IPs, it won't hurt. That doesn't do anything to help the audio ports if there is an issue.

8. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Better using SBC, if there are issues. If not (normally), STUN is enough. Using SBC may be not always a straightforward job. For 20 extensions you need quite powerful device for SBC.

10. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Can you not setup a site to site vpn, then you configure the phones are if there are on the 3cx lan

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can, but many have to work with what is there currently. In most cases VPN hardware can be more expensive than an SBC.

12. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

VPN can be very inexpensive with MikroTik routers, the price of a HAP-lite model, enough for remote office, starts from about US $20. A good branch office router will cost about $50 - 60.
    I maintain over 50 3CX cloud implementations with MikroTik CCR-1009 router, cost about $500 at 1-2% load of the router and small routers at remote sites using IPsec VPN without any issues. Both L2 and L3 connectivity is possible to remote sites, which makes life easier than using SBCs. This doesn't mean in cases where you don't have control to network equipment you can't use SBCs, nevertheless you may use small routers at remote sites behind other routers and configure phones to use them as a network gateway.

13. Philip Darnell

Doesn't appear to be any audio issues, mainly issues with phones being slow to ring, for example, in a queue with 5 phones ring all, 3 will ring straight away and the other 2 about a second behind.

Thanks I will check that out.

The PBX is hosted in the cloud so can't setup a VPN unfortunately.

14. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

If your PBX is hosted and you can't install VPN router, then the only option is to use SBC, if you need it. However, even not encrypted, usage of SBC encapsulates the voip traffic and thus adds some security, as voip call can't be observed directly with packet capture on the way.

15. Philip Darnell

Thanks for the help. I will see how we go with STUN, don't really want to add an SBC as to me its just another thing that can fail and go wrong, but obviously if STUN isn't working we will need to add the SBC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.