Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Remote Registration [SOLVED]

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigreilly, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

We are trying to get some Aastra 6753 to register remotely. I know the remote location works ok (Loc B) - because we have tested iPhones there on Wi-Fi successfully.
    When I log into the device web-interface, I get registration status of 408 - which I think is Timeout and the display shows NO SERVICE. This location is using an Airport Extreme.
    In another remote location (Loc A), with a NETGEAR Wireless Router, we connect successfully to the 3cx server. We simply unplugged the device, and moved it to location B with the Airport and it can not connect.
    Any ideas?

In my Wireshark - I show Loc B IP in Source to internal IP of 10.0.0.12 Protocol SIP - Request: Register sip:external ip at server:5060
    This line is in there 4 times.

I do indeed have WAN Access enabled for this extension as it was working at LOC A.

Also -is it true that I need to keep port 5000 open for these devices to get updated config data and access MyPhone ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: Remote Registration

May not have enough info. Were both the Aastra and iPhone using the same extension? Too many variables with different phones, wired vs. wireless, locations, router types, etc. and not knowing how each phone is set-up or a log and only one Wireshark.

3. craigreilly

The iPhone ext 4954
    The aastra 4923

The wireshark showed four entries with same info. I can see the iPhone coming in from same ip. Maybe I should Unregister iPhone before I try again. And why would aastra work from another remote location ? Maybe I should try that netgear at location b.

Both units accessing cable Internet via the Apple airport extreme.

Should I do wireshark on location b network instead of server side?

Also - even though my iPhone works remotely, I never have gotten a successful firewall check:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lneblett

Both extensions set for use outside the LAN? We need to quit changing variables. You are able to see the results real time, make changes whereas those in the forum have to catch up and try and make sense of it. If you have two phone devices set identically to reach a remote destination using the same method and the same extension and all is set correctly, then both should function. I have several registrations to the same extension without issue and using multiple diffent devices.

Work with one location and try to register both to/with one extension. You have the iPhone and an Aastra. One is wired, the other wireless. One is an App -soft phone, the other a hard phone. Is the iPhone running the latest release (just announced) and if so with a tunnel? For the moment, I will assume no tunnel on the iPhone.

As you have had success with the iPhone, which I assume means the ability to register and then to makes and receive calls with full audio (both directions). Repeat that and verify. If all is well, Then make no changes at the 3cx end, replicate the same test with the Aastra using the same extension and as many of the same settings as contained in the iPhone as possible. Make sure that the extension credentials are the same in both phones. Let us know what you observed, but please quit changing things so we can isolate some of the issues.

5. craigreilly

Have not "kept changing things" just fishing for ideas. Between the 2 sites the router is different.
    Also Loc a has a static ip in router
    Loc b does not have static ip

The iPhone is latest version without tunnel. It makes calls and voice in both directions.

Looking at settings between both devices - it could be the stun settings for the Aastra. I will review your suggestions in the above reply and report my findings.

Thank you for your time

6. lneblett

Sorry, did not mean to offend, just trying to suggest if all were equal at a given location, it would be easier to troubleshoot. Because there are differnces between one location and the other, just makes it more problematic as I was inclined to point my finger at the AP extreme. It apparently fails to allow the Aastra to work at either location; yet you indicated that it allows the iPhone to work at B, and I think it is implied, but not explicitly stated, that it also works at A. Are there any settings within this device that might impact how it treats one phone (IP) over another phone (IP).

While I do not think the firewall issue (checker fails) is a showstopper, considering that you got through with both phones from A, it would be nice to resolve if possible. Just another item to eliminate.

I think looking at the STUN settings in the Aastra is a good start. I am guessing that because you did get the Aastra to work at A, that you do have it configured correctly, but here is a link from the 3CX blog that gives the details on remoting an Asstra using STUN. http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/

Might help, might not.

Yes, 5000 does need to be opened if you expect to use MyPhone, the Management Web Interface and provisioning remotely- any one, or combination thereof.

7. craigreilly

That link helped a bunch. And although the iPhone could make calls - it would not receive calls. I looked at those settings and the Proxy port was empty. I added the server public ip and not it can receive calls.
    The only strange behavior right now is that if the Aastra puts my iPhone on hold - no music. If the Aastra parks the call to SP? then the iPhone has music.
    Also same in the reverse if iPhone puts Aastra on hold.
    I will have to test this internally again to ensure when a user is put on hold that they are getting music.

Consider this thread closed. Thanks for all the assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.