Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Remote SIP Phone getting Phantom Calls

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jfschneid, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfschneid

I have a remote user with a GrandStream GXP2100 phone. They are reporting getting calls from other extensions with no one on the other end. When they ask the person who called them why they were calling and that person did not call them. This happens quite frequently from a few extensions. I was wondering if any else had seen this and if there is a solution?

Thanks,

Jason

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you looked , in 3CX, to see if there is a log generated, for one of these calls?

3. jfschneid

This happened again. I checked the log for that extension for that day and this is what is there. It does not look like there is anything in the logs for the time the user is saying. She said she got calls in the middle of the night and one in the morning. The one in the morning was from extension 601 which is not an extension in our system.

05-Apr-2013 17:14:11.189 Leg L:582.1[Extn] is terminated: Cause: BYE from PBX
    05-Apr-2013 17:14:11.144 [CM503020]: Call(C:582): Normal call termination. Call originator: Extn:111. Reason: Not found
    05-Apr-2013 17:14:11.144 [CM503014]: Call(C:582): No known route from Extn:111 to target: <sip:1001@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060>
    05-Apr-2013 17:14:11.144 Call(C:582): from Extn:111 to 1001 doesn't match any outbound rule. No outbound rule could be selected.
    05-Apr-2013 17:14:11.142 [CM503001]: Call(C:582): Incoming call from Extn:111 to <sip:1001@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060>

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The log just shows that extension 111 has dialled 1001, I'm assuming a miss-dialled number, and it failed.

Since 3CX had no log, of a call to the extension with the problem, then it is safe to say that the call did not come from the PBX.

That being the case, you are left with a couple of possibilities...

The set is faulty, or has some sort of data corruption that causes it to ring on occasion. You could try swapping out the set to confirm this.

Or, the set is receiving a direct SIP call. While not impossible, this is very unlikely, especially if the set is behind a router. In most cases a caller would have to have the public IP, the port that the set was on, and the extension number of the set. The router would also have to have the port forwarded to the private IP of the set.

I would think about replacing the set. Re-program the phone (do a "factory" reset) and use it at a different location, see if the problem appears again.

5. jfschneid

Thanks I will try that.

6. dbilla

I have a user having the exact same issue. No logs recorded for any of these calls. They have a GXP 1450. If anyone comes up with an answer please share. Thanks.

7. jfschneid

Ok... I know it has been a while but I have some more information. I took a spare phone we had in the office and took it home for a month long test. Every thing went fine with the test at home. No Issues. I sent the other remote user this phone and had her hook it up and now she is seeing these phantom calls again. This latest one said it was one of our other phones calling her extension. When she picked up there was nothing on the other end. Here are the quotes from her emails.

"all 4 lines are ringing showing from ext 101 says Tom Salerno calling. No one is on the extension and I can't disconnect the lines."

"one line is still trying to connect. The phone doesn't actually ring either, just shows up on the screen and the line lights up green or red."

I checked the call log and it shows no-one calling her extension at that time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Since there is no sign of a call originating in the PBX, i have to assume that the name display on the set is because that extension number is listed in the phones internal directory against Ext 101.

Given that you had no issues, I suspect that it probably direct SIP calls to the set, and not a set malfunction. These calls would have to be directed to the public IP and port of the line(s), assuming it is behind a router. Have you tried changing the ports of the extensions to something a bit less obvious, like, perhaps 5070, and up. If someone, or something were sending a call to the most common ports, like 5060, 5061, etc. It might stop. I have to assume that there is nothing else on the same network that would possibly be doing this, right?

You could also set-up something like Wire Shark to try to capture the incoming call information that might show where the calls originate. Some ATA's like the SPA-2102,and perhaps even the sets you are using, have a Syslog function, where all information can be directed to a PC on the net running a Syslog server. If you set-up an ATA, or another set, with the same credentials, you might capture something. have you, in fact, tried using another device with the same settings?

You could also try changing the extension number, temporarily, as a test

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.