• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remove SIP info on in-bound Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonners59

Reaction score
I get a lot of unwanted information displayed on handsets and soft clients on in-bound calls that I would like to remove. Namely I get "SIP:" followed by the number calling, followed by "@server IP address:port number", such as SIP:[email protected]:6040

How do I remove all this info, please and just leave the the caller ID, in this case 02081234567

Regards

It looks like...where you get the word "SIP:", we in North America get the callers name or area, if available. Which provider is this coming from, did it just begin doing this recently? Have you asked your provider about this?

:shock: Kindly check with your VOIP line provider some error at his end

Also check from 3cx control panel

General Settings-settings from direct sip calls (that should not be checked )

Sorry guys, did not get an alert, so was not aware I had some replies!
It has done this from day 1, and I have rebuilt the system (another story) from scratch and it still does it.

I only use my VoIP provider for outbound calls.

My in-bound, where, as expected this occurs is via my POTS PSTN lines, 2 of, which are routed by FXO/FXS: Grandstream GWX 4104.

I went in to Settings - General - Global Options, where the ONLY line item which has anything like such as an option exists: "Append Group and DID names to Caller ID on/off"

I unticked this option, which also remved the following item too: "Append/Prepend caller name to Group ID"

This had no effect and did not change anything. We still get the full SIP details. Any other options?

OK, any other ideas for removing the unwanted SIP info? It must be stripable (sorry bad word) from the inbound string....

Well, I would think, I could be wrong, that the 4104 is to blame. That could be confirmed using a packet capture program like Wireshark to see exactly what the 4104 is sending to 3CX. If 3Cx is just relaying what it is receiving then you have confirmed that a setting in the 4104 needs changing.
If you don't get an answer from someone familiar with that problem in this forum, take the question to Grandsteams forum, where someone, in your country, may have had the same issue.

Just spent a very expensive hour on my LiveMeeting with Grandstream Techies (Carlos) in The US. We tried to play with the 3CX settings under the device "Inbound Settings" tab. Sadly we neither knew what we were doing and all the changes made no difference, but I have to say that it led me to believe that in there there must be an option to strip the SIP details and just leave the Caller ID.

If not is should do!

Any ideas?

BUMP.

I have exactly the same issue.

I am using a PSTN -> Linksys SPA 3000 -> 3cx -> Cisco 7941 Configuration.

The callerid dispayed on my phone is always '(callerid)@ip.addy.of.3cx' eg '(5551212)@192.168.1.253'

As you can imagine having the ip address tacked on at the end causes all sorts of useabilty problems.

I am going to look see if I can change the provisioning in the Phone to filter it, but there MUST be a way to get 3cx to do this.... surely, seems a no brainer? :D

UNBUMP

turns out it is an issue in my CISCO firmware (7941G/8.0)

FYI for anyone else looking at this, here is an extract from the Cisco SIP firmware changelog for 79xx phones:

Version: v8.3
•No longer lists server IP on display for caller's number.

Maybe, but I do not (would not use Cisco), and likewise am surprised that the 3CX does not allow stripping of unwanted text. It's a standard facility on PBX.

Jonners59 said:
am surprised that the 3CX does not allow stripping of unwanted text. It's a standard facility on PBX.
Jonners, the standard is "display_name"<sip:extension@provider:port>What do you see is the display_name. Now, please do the following test:
- open an Xlite and create a new account having as "Display Name" <sip:500@provider:port>, as is. Then try to make a call, and see what the callee displays as caller ID. I'll tell you: <sip:extension@provider:port>. Now, please explain me what "unwanted text" means, since this is the text ME, the caller, I want to be displayed. Moreover, my this phone is connected to a provider A which is connected to another provider B - which of these providers should strip "unwanted text"? My provider A says "unwanted text" is <> and strips them, while your provider B says "anything enclosed in <>", therefore on your phone you will see considered wanted text sip:extension@provider:port. Isn't funny?

Jonners59 said:
Maybe, but I do not (would not use Cisco), and likewise am surprised that the 3CX does not allow stripping of unwanted text. It's a standard facility on PBX.

I have opened pdf file in notepad.exe... I see a lot of unwanted symbols... Should I blame Adobe Acrobat?
It is just a joke, don't accept it as a "try to offence"...

Information is delivered the same way as for e-mail. It is up to phone (e-mail client) how to display to/from headers of SIP request (e-mail) to user. Could you please specify environment for "...standard facility on PBX" as well as the PBX which supports this "standard facility"?
If your environment has specific requirements in this area then just specify it. It will be interesting to know the source of problem.

Sorry, but I really confused by this request :(

Thanks

Thank you for the reply,
Quote: "the standard is "display_name"<sip:extension@provider:port>What do you see is the display_name"
This is exactly what I get for internal and external calls. The display name followed by the SIP info which is the 3CX address and port. This is in my original posting. Please read the first entry.

Quote: "- open an Xlite and create a new account having as "Display Name" <sip:500@provider:port>, as is. Then try to make a call, and see what the callee displays as caller ID. I'll tell you: <sip:extension@provider:port>. Now, please explain me what "unwanted text" means, since this is the text ME, the caller, I want to be displayed".
As per my original posting, I do not want to see sip:500@provider:port..... Absolutely not, and why would I? All I want is either the name of the person calling or the number of the caller. What user needs or is interested in the sip detail?

Quote: "My provider A says "unwanted text" is <> and strips them, while your provider B says "anything enclosed in <>", therefore on your phone you will see considered wanted text sip:extension@provider:port. Isn't funny?"
Exactly, but it is the 3CX that is "the provider".... The SIP info or as you put it, the info in the <> is all from the 3CX, as per my original posting. Please read above.

Quote: "Moreover, my this phone is connected to a provider A which is connected to another provider B - which of these providers should strip "unwanted text"?"

Do not understand either a) the question or b) the relevance to my query, could you please explain?

Thank you for getting back

SY said:
I have opened pdf file in notepad.exe... I see a lot of unwanted symbols... Should I blame Adobe Acrobat?
It is just a joke, don't accept it as a "try to offence"...

This has nothing to do with it. I'm not opening a pdf in notepad. I might be trying to use a PC system to "open" a telephony application.

SY said:
If your environment has specific requirements in this area then just specify it. It will be interesting to know the source of problem.

Sorry, but I really confused by this request :(
I have, it was written in the first posting - if read!!!! It's very clear, I don't know why you have to be so defensive and offensive!
A call comes in on my telephone line and on my old telephone connected to that line I see the caller's telephone number, as I have for decades. That line is connected to the 3CX also, but the 3CX delivers and displays the number plus its IP address and port number. Why does it not have a facility to strip it before sending it out? Simple question and requirement.

Now, if the solution is fixed at some other point, then why is that not pointed out and assistance given to fix, but as I only have a Gradstream GWX4104, the 3CX Server and the handsets (soft and desktop) on the network, and this occurs on internal as well as external calls, so it excludes the Grandstream, I fail, so far to see what else could be the cause.

For interest the handset is Siemens A580 IP and the soft phones are Counterpath Xlite and Ekiga. I have tried others and all have the same result, including the 3CX version. So again it falls on the 3CX sending this info out.

So suggestions please...

Jonners59 said:
3CX delivers and displays

This is the root of your misunderstanding. 3CX PBX delivers but NOT displays. Your phone is the device that displays. PBX can not strip ip address from SIP packets, because it is part of SIP standard, and doing that would break all SIP protocol. If you still do not believe us - read SIP standard, google for RFC 3261

Jonners, my point was: syntax of "display_name"<sip:extension@provider:port> is standardized, while content of "display_name" isn't. So, from this point of view, there is no fault, no bug, no mistake from nobody, phone, provider, PBX, since everybody respects the SIP syntax. Therefore, we don't discuss here a bug, but a feature request.

Now: a PBX is a transport link in the chain between sender and end-point; perhaps the most important rule (not standard, but rule) to be obeyed by such a link is to preserve integrity of the original input data. That's because this data has semantic, significance, for the end-point. Usually, this data is altered by adding, not by stripping. My caller ID is Vali, 3CX, not "Vali, 3CX", quotes were added. Data processing is performed by the end-point, once it has been received entirely.

First case, one PBX: your phone is smart enough to store all incoming calls from caller ID's starting with "3CX:" into a dedicated folder. Therefore, I set my caller Id as 3CX:Vali. If PBX's admin decide to strip from caller ID's anything before ":", you will get a call from Vali, and your phone's ability will be useless.
Case two, the same example, but two providers involved: I have my caller ID set to Vali, since my PBX will add, by preserving it, the "3CX:" prefix. Your smart phone is connected to bubuprovider.com, to which my PBX is conected. But this provider decide to strip from caller ID's anything before ":" So, when I'm calling you as Vali, my PBX will format "3CX:Vali", which will be passed to the bubuprovider.com which will strip "3CX:" and you will get a call from Vali. Who's fault? Is nobody's fault, since we dont discuss a standard, but what we would like to have.

Sorry for long explanation :mrgreen:

Regards
vali

Vali
Thank you. Your elaborate explanation is fine.

But, how do I strip the info ("SIP" "@192.168.1.50:5060") from the display, just leaving the caller's number or name? That's all I want/need...... In my 30 years in telecoms I have never seen any system that displayed the Server details to the end users' handsets, it is messy, confusing and unnecessary to them.

Where is this done, and how? There is nothing in any of the phone devices that I have, but the 3CX has a section on parameters, I and the tech teams at Grandstream believed that the capability was in there, somewhere. Obviously misguided.

Jonners, if I properly understand the configuration, your phone is connected to a 3CXPBX and this one is connected to a provider, from where incoming calls comes with the "sip:..." in the display name. If this is correct, then, on 3CXPBX management console, you may try to play a little with provider's inbound parameters.
Now: the field which bother you is "From:Display Name". This one is set, by default, to "Caller name caller's name (default: From->display name)". Select this field, then from Variable selector above, select "Caller num caller's number (default:From->user)". Click the Add/Update button, then press Apply and OK. Basically, after this operation, instead to get an incoming call from "display_name"<sip:extension@provider:port>, your phone will get "extension"<sip:extension@provider:port>, therefore it will show caller's extension (number). Hope it helps.
Regards
vali

OK, Vali, I think we are on the right track.

It has stripped much of the data, but too much. It has now taken out all... Is there another option within the list that you can recommend? I am conscience of making changes that screw the system up completly......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.