[RESOLVED] No Ring Tone When Dialing Out

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Gywthian, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gywthian

We currently have 3CX setup on a Windows XP Professional machine and are using a GrandStream gateway with Polycom 330 phones.

When we dial out, sometimes we get a ring tone, but most times it's just silence until the answering side picks up. Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Re: No Ring Tone When Dialing Out

by any chance, have you uploaded a .MP3 file ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Intermittent problems are always fun (I'm thinking, in a sarcastic tone). You don't say what type of gateway you are using, PSTN, PRI?

I'll assume it's PSTN...generally there are several status messages sent back to 3CX to tell it whats' going on. The last (of an answered call) is the 200 OK message. Once 3CX has sent the invite with the dialled number to a PSTN gateway, there isn't much more for it to do, so, some gateways skip other messages and just send the 200 OK, at which point 3CX assumes the other party has answered and cuts through an audio path. It's up to the caller to determine audibly if the call completed successfully or not. Some gateways can be set to sense a current reversal when the other party picks up at which time the 200 is sent. In this case a 180 ringing message should have proceeded it (the 200 message) and at that point audio should have been cut through.

You may need to use Wireshark to see the messaging sent (or missing) during the calls that are having the problem.

4. dannybrook

If you're using SP4 or SP5 then you may need to change the codec order on the polycom provisioning template and then re-provision your phones. There's an issue with SP5 and the new firmware, 3.3.1.

Code:
      <voice.codecPref
        voice.codecPref.G711_A="2"
        voice.codecPref.G711_Mu="1"
        voice.codecPref.G719.32kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G719.48kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G719.64kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G722="3"
        voice.codecPref.G7221.16kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G7221.24kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G7221.32kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G7221_C.24kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G7221_C.32kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G7221_C.48kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.G729_AB="4"
        voice.codecPref.iLBC.13_33kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.iLBC.15_2kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.Lin16.8ksps=""
        voice.codecPref.Lin16.16ksps=""
        voice.codecPref.Lin16.32ksps=""
        voice.codecPref.Lin16.44_1ksps=""
        voice.codecPref.Lin16.48ksps=""
        voice.codecPref.Siren14.24kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.Siren14.32kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.Siren14.48kbps=""
        voice.codecPref.Siren14.64kbps=""
      />

5. Gywthian

Sorry for the late responses, had a training to attend this morning. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

We have uploaded MP3's to the 3CX system for an automated answering system, yes.

The gateway we are using is a Grandstream GWX4108, and it is PSTN.

We are using 3CX v9.0.13545.594 SP.5a

The firmware we are using on the Polycom SoundPoints 331 is 3.3.1.0933 (testing to see if it worked) on my phone and 3.1.3.0507 on everyone elses phones.

I wanted to give you this information to see if that helped you, I can try running Wireshark, but I have to admit I'm not exactly sure I know what I'm looking for.

6. davidbenwell

You will need to replace the .MP3 files as this is known to caules issues.

.MP3 is not supported by 3CX

please remove and convert to. 8Hz 16BT .Wav and test and confrim if still get the same issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Gywthian

Thank you for the quick response. I was wrong, the attendant file is a .wav but the onhold file is a .mp3 does that need to be replaced as well?

8. davidbenwell

i would.

You can use Audacity 1.3 to convert it to a .wav

9. Gywthian

I converted it to a .wav and changed it to use that file, however, I'm still not getting a ringback tone. Do I need to restart my server?

Also, I have created a sip filtered Wireshark log if anyone wants me to copy and paste it or send it to them or something.

I didn't see anything that said 180, but I did see some 200's OK though they seemed to happen at random intervals.

I tried enabling the polarity reversal, and it didn't work.

And it's truly intermittent. One call it picks up my voicemail (I'm calling my cell to test) 3 seconds later than it should, the next call, it works perfectly.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you checked the 3CX logs to see if the "problem" calls might be using one trunk and calls with ringback are using others? In other words, is there a pattern related to the trunk that call takes?

11. dannybrook

Please read my previous post, I'm almost certain it will fix your issue. Just change the config file for 1 phone and test it.

12. Gywthian

Unfortunately it did not work danny, but thank you for the suggestion. I've upgraded all the phones to 3.3.1 with BootROM 4.3.0.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Or help diagnosing my WireShark capture.

Also it appears it always uses the same trunk whether it rings or not. I tested an analog phone with one of the phone lines connected to the Gateway and it worked fine.

So it has to be somewhere in my gateway or 3CX server. I doubt it's in the phones at this point.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Do you have any other makes of phones/ATA's to try?

14. Gywthian

Unfortunately, no, we don't have any other phones to try with besides the regular analog one.

I did get an e-mail yesterday saying that there was a "hint of an invite" in looking at the logs and that "something was not right"

Does that make sense to anyone? What's an "invite" in regards to a Wireshark capture, and more, what's a hint of it mean?

15. Gywthian

3CX was able to tell me from a PCAP that the GXW4108 is taking 15 seconds to respond to the PBX signal and that's why there is a lack of ring back at the phone making the call.

I know this is a 3CX forum, but does anyone know the Grandstream GXW4108 well enough to tell me what setting might need to be corrected?

I'm using firmware 1.3.4.10. Thanks!

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is there a polarity reversal option? If you get an audio path once the party has answered, then the Grandstream is aware, and waiting for an answer, or timing out, before cutting through.

17. Gywthian

Yes, there is a polarity option. It's set to N at the moment, but I've tried setting it to Y before. But I can try again.

Just tried it again. Didn't work. :(

18. Gywthian

I always hate when people have a problem but don't post a solution, so I'm going to post what I did to resolve this issue.

I had to roll back my Grandstream GXW4108's firmware from 1.3.4.10 to 1.3.1.6. As soon as I did that, it worked just fine.

Thanks for your help!

19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I see you had posted in the Grandstream forum as well. It would be interesting to see if Grandstream responds and if your issue is a bug in the new release or just a setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.