Restoring backup during re-install - source options

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by ccomley, Sep 25, 2017.

Restoring backup during re-install - source options 4 5 1votes
4/5, 1 vote

1. ccomley

We just upgraded the licence on a Google hosted VM. This of course means backing up, removing, re-installing, and feeding the backup back in. The only way to feed back in the backup was to re-upload it from our office, which took over half an hour (our local broadband isn't all that!)

It would be useful if the restore-backup (during install) allowed us to specify one or more of
    - a URL (e.g. a Drop-box link)
    - Google Drive location (though I appreaciate going through teh approval process for a single file might be tedious)
    - a location ON the VM's local drive, we could easily have pushed the file back to /tmp, for example, but there was no way to tell the restore dialog to look there.

2. Silly English Kniggit

Next time - upgrade your existing key instead of ordering a new license, this avoids this requirement.
    I assume you're using Linux... Were you using CLI or web GUI? Can definitely do this in CLI - though you do need to know exact path and file name as now way to browse or tab complete. Could always pull it in from URL with wget / curl first too.

Do agree this could be easier though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ccomley

Would have loved to have just upgraded the key but 3CX said to go from where I was to where I wanted to be, not possible, had to be a new key. GOK why not.