• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Restoring Backup To A Fresh Instance Using PBX Express - Best Steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Koenig

Customer
Reaction score
Hey there! About a year ago I used the 'PBX Express' to setup a 'Professional' License of 3CX in Google Cloud. I loved it! (it was the main reason we switched to 3CX considering how easy and quick it was to setup!)

Now its been over a year, and I have gone through a couple updates and most recently a full OS update (From Deb 8 to 9) on my Google Cloud VM. I don't have a lot of faith in my technical ability and I would just prefer to start with a fresh instance (using PBX express)

I want to backup my current 3CX setup (it is currently live and running) and setup a new instance using the 'PBX Express'. Then I want to load my full backup onto the newly created instance. This will give me peace of mind that everything on the VM is setup properly and it will be nice to have a fresh instance.

My questions are:
- How do I use the PBX express with the same license key I have (my current instance is live and I want as little downtime as possible)
- How can I ensure my FQDN is kept the same on the newly created VM? (I don't want to have to go through all of our SIP trunks and IP phones and reconfigure everything)
- Do I have to worry about the IP address being different on the new VM the PBX express will setup?
- When using the 'PBX Express' Step 2 asks me to set the 'Extension Length' I would like to use. Do I just use the same extension length I currently have so things fit when I restore the backup onto the new VM?

Essentially, can I use the PBX express to create a new VM and do a complete restore of my currently running instance? If so, what are some things to keep in mind and what are the best steps to take?

Thanks for your time! :)

You can't. PBXExpress is designed for new instances only.

You can't. PBXExpress is designed for new instances only.
This is true as the PBX express is designed to create new installations. However if you are using a 3CX FQDN and your backup is the same version as the version you installed using PBX express then you can restore it.

@Levi Koenig
  • Create a backup without including licence and FQDN information. Download the backup to your local machine.
  • Power down the instance.
  • Use PBX Express to install the new installation on a new instance. Use the same key. Since the key is bound to the FQDN you will get the same FQDN
  • Select the same extension length so you can restore your backup.
  • Once the PBX is ready you can restore your backup.

Reactions: Levi Koenig
This is true as the PBX express is designed to create new installations. However if you are using a 3CX FQDN and your backup is the same version as the version you installed using PBX express then you can restore it.

@Levi Koenig
  • Create a backup without including licence and FQDN information. Download the backup to your local machine.
  • Power down the instance.
  • Use PBX Express to install the new installation on a new instance. Use the same key. Since the key is bound to the FQDN you will get the same FQDN
  • Select the same extension length so you can restore your backup.
  • Once the PBX is ready you can restore your backup.

Thanks Yiannis! So it does seem like I will be able to accomplish a fresh install using the PBX express. I am using a 3CX FQDN, so that will help.

"your backup is the same version as the version you installed using PBX express then you can restore it. "

Is it safe to assume that when I use the PBX express it will install the most recent version of 3CX? So if my currently running instance is fully updated...it should be the same version?

@YiannisH_3CX

Good call, I didn't think about doing it that way. An extra step certainly doable.

@Levi Koenig

Correct. PBXExpress always installs the most current version which is Update 6 right now.

Is it safe to assume that when I use the PBX express it will install the most recent version of 3CX? So if my currently running instance is fully updated...it should be the same version?
Yes PBX express will always install the latest stable version. If you are also running the latest version you will not have an issue.

Really appreciate the help everyone! I am going to attempt this weekend :)

Let us know if you face any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.