Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Restrict extension registration to internal IP addresses

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JonnyM, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyM

Is there any way to restrict handset registration to internal IP addresses only? We don't have any remote users, and if we ever need it then they will be using 3CXPhone over the tunnel.

I see quite a few failed registrations in the log, and I think I could improve security if 3CX just didn't listen to registration attempts from any subnet other than 192.168.3.0/24

Is this possible?

2. bardissi

bardissi Member

This is already done by default as all extensions are set to disallow registration outside of the lan.. check box on the other tab of every individual extension

3. bardissi

bardissi Member

This is already done by default as all extensions are set to disallow registration outside of the lan.. check box on the other tab of every individual extension

4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

The other one would be to firewall SIP connections to your SIP trunking providers' specs. That would cut out SIP traffic on the WAN for all those registrations.

I tend not to do that as much, the tunnel can be problematic for mobile in my experience.. and handsets as remote extensions will need "help" to tunnel (proxy manager..).

Limiting your exposure from outside is ideal, but can have side-effects. If indeed you go with the tunnel approach, however, firewall inbound SIP.

5. JonnyM

Limiting the extension registration to LAN-only does the trick, but doesn't stop the attempts.

I will have a chat with our SIP provider and see if they can give me a list of the IP addresses that they use.

Thanks for your help.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are you talking about your own users attempting a registration from outside the LAN, or hacker attempts? If it's the latter, then you can either go for a more "configurable" firewall/router, discuss the problem with your ISP to see if they can help block certain IPs, or, tweak the 3CX security Blacklist settings, to quickly stop unauthorized registration attempts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.