• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Reverse lookup of phone numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfactory

Reaction score
We have currently an asterisk pbx running where we have a php script on a local webserver which is launched if someone is calling. This script makes reverse lookup of the number over the web and gives the caller name back to the pbx. On the phone I see then the caller name instead of just the number.

Can this be done for 3CX with the VAD?

Thanks for help

Daniel

It is more appropiate to use the CRM Integration module to do that.
You need to create a simple plug-in using this API: http://wiki.3cx.com/api/3cx-crm-plug-api
Your plug-in should query your web page and return the contact information.

VAD_Support said:
You need to create a simple plug-in using this API: http://wiki.3cx.com/api/3cx-crm-plug-api

Ok, as I understand this is fine if you are sitting in front of a PC. But what happens if you have no PC around (or PC is switched off...) and just a SIP phone on the desk? In this case it would be nice to have the caller name displayed using reverse lookup functions. This reverse lookup should be done bevor the call gets to any extension. Is there no other solution available which can do this like it can be done in Asterisk?

Hi Daniel,

You're right, that is only useful when you are sitting in front of a PC.

Unfortunatelly this is not possible with the VAD. When you tranfer a call, you can not add information to the caller id. This is a very interesting feature, so I'm going to add a feature request, so this can be do-able with the VAD...

There is another 3CX API (http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/call-control-api/) which maybe you can use for this. I'm not sure if this is do-able with that API, but maybe you can give it a try. Unfortunatelly I don't have experience using that API, so I can not tell you for sure if what you need is possible using it, but maybe you can do some tests with it...

I'll second the CallerID manipulation via VAD.
I have a similar issue.
Though a CRM plugin is nice in theory, in practice it's hard to beat the simpleness of reading the CID on the phone.

Hi Shahzad,

This is very interesting. May I ask some questions? Can this system change the caller id that the user sees in the phone when picks up the call? Or do you need a PC to receive the notification?

Thanks.

We had spoken to a vendor about integrating it with their IP Phones via the phone's XML capabilities. That is what you could do with your own lookup service. Most likely the phones you're using has the ability to do that.

Otherwise, the only way to do that would be finding a way to edit the SIP headers, which can't be done in the VAD they said. (I haven't tried it though, I'm assuming the $callflow.ANI variable is read only).

Using the other 3CX API there might be a way to manipulate the headers actually, but I would need to take a moment to look it over.

How big of a need is this for you?

This is an interesting way to do that. I was investigating how to do it altering the SIP headers using the Call Control API, but it doesn't seem to be possible that way, at least with the current interface of that API...

I was just asking about this because it is something requested by users, and it would be great to add the callerid feature to the VAD....

Regards,

VAD_Support said:

That link is dead. Do you have a functioning link for this plug-in API? I'm interested in seeing the capabilities.

The page has been moved. This is the new location:
http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/crm-api/

Any news on this issue? I currently have that feature on my asterisk setup and I like it to see names instead of numbers :) But I'm not going to switch me and my customers to 3CX without this possibility.

No, this is not possible yet. But I know that there are important changes related to the Assistant for version 10, so maybe that is something you can do when that version is available...

Regards,

VAD_Support said:
No, this is not possible yet. But I know that there are important changes related to the Assistant for version 10, so maybe that is something you can do when that version is available...

Any news on this issue?

Daniel

There is a new feature in 3CX v10 (commercial editions only) that allows doing something like this. When you have the 3CX company phone book filled with your contacts, when a call arrives 3CX Phone System will look for the contact name in the phone book, and when found it will send the contact name in the SIP message, so you see it in the phone.

It is not possible to query an external data source, but you may import you contact information into 3CX phone book to achieve this. No VAD callflow would be necessary.

Just vote for this idea on ideascale http: //3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/84155-9854
I think this will meet our requirements or if not add your requirements as comment

Hey! I'm at work surfing around your forum from my new iphone!
have voted, but what's the reason of it?

Dominique24 said:
have voted,but what's the reason of it?
If there are enough votes, there is a chance that 3cx will implement this feature in a future version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyass.b
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.