Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Solved Ring a few seconds before voicemail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by smartek, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartek

I'm sorry for this basic question but I can't figure out how to do this :

The extension is never online. So calls will go to the voicemail. But my client would like it to ring a 4-5 seconds. This would be easy if the extension is online, but as it it just a number to leave messages, this extension is not link to a phone or softclient.

How can I do this ?

2. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

I don't believe this can be done. 3CX will see that no phone is registered and immediately forward to the not-registered choice. I suppose you could select an Digital Receptionist as the location and put a "ringing" wav file as the IVR prompt, and then transfer the call to your voicemail after X number of seconds. I'm not sure whether you would hear prompts like "transferring your call" in that process. Just trying to think outside the box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smartek

I thought of that and I tried the default “usringtone” but it lasts 1-2 seconds. I could try to find the exact wav for the desired time or edit a file. Didn’t think of that. Thanks !

4. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

How about a version of voiptoys' suggestion... Create an outgoing message that has 4 or 5 seconds of ring tone and the message to leave a message at the tone? Set that outgoing message as the default... Just a thought. Great idea, voiptoys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smartek

But how do you do that ? You need to create a wav that has 4-5 seconds of ringtones no ? Aren't we talking about the same thing :) ?

6. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi smartek,
    Just as voiptoys suggested this can't be done since the call will end up to "If I am busy or my phone is unregistered, forward calls to:" destination. The IVR idea seems something that could be what you need considering that you have the appropriate wav file. You could even create a wav file which will be consisted of a ringing sound and the voicemail greeting, set it as the voicemail greeting and skip entirely the IVR forwarding. In any case since you want the ringing heard by the caller to last for at least 5 seconds you will have to create an appropriate wav file.

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

In addition to the above comments, try the following:
    - Create a dummy extension with a valid email address and send a welcome email.
    - Use the welcome email to provision the extension to a mobile 3CX client (IOS / Android)
    - Make sure that Push is enabled for the extension.
    - The extension should now show as registered.
    - Remove the account from the mobile device if needed.
    - Set the extension to available and have it ring for as long as you like before reaching the voicemail.

8. smartek

Thanks to all for your participation :) !

I'm confused about this : if I remove the account from my iPhone, won't the extension go back to unavailable ? If so, how do you "set the extension to available" ?

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The extension is not aware that the account has been removed from your iPhone so it will stay registered assuming that your iPhone is still waiting for Push.

You just need to make sure that the status of the extension is set to Available from the status button on the menu bar.

smartek likes this.
  10. smartek

Soooo cool ! Didn't know this trick of "available dummy extension" :D !

Thank you !

11. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad to hear your issue was resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.