Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Ring additional extension when first extension dialed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fonewiz, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonewiz

I have a request from a customer that would like her phone to ring when another particular extension rings.

I realize I can setup ring groups but in this case, it won't work because sometimes people call the extension directly.

Example of what the user is asking for:

Internal or external caller dials Ext A directly --> Ext A rings & Ext B rings

This is simple to do on other systems but I have never tried to do this with 3CX and I can't seem to find a way.

I am aware of configuring two phones for a single extension but in this case, Ext B needs to remain a separate extension, just need to ring B whenever A is dialed.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of is to tell the user of Ext A to start giving out a different extension to everyone that's actually a ring group extension. This however does not hold up for things like DialByName and probably a bunch of other things.

Thanks in advance for any help from anyone that has solved this issue before.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You have two options:

1. If a multi-line capable phone, you can always manually set-up one of the unused line keys to be the same extension as the other extension. Fundamentally, this phone would then have 2 accounts and will ring whenever the primary or secondary extension is rung, be it as a direct call or as a ring group, etc.

2. Assuming the other extension has BLF capability, set-up a key to monitor the desired extension. While it will not ring per se, there is at least the visual indicator that will indicate a ring.

3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

I recommend the #1 option. A third option is to put Extension B's extension number in as the mobile phone for Extension A and set Extension A to "ring my mobile at the same time".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.