Ring additional extension when first extension dialed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fonewiz, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonewiz

I have a request from a customer that would like her phone to ring when another particular extension rings.

I realize I can setup ring groups but in this case, it won't work because sometimes people call the extension directly.

Example of what the user is asking for:

Internal or external caller dials Ext A directly --> Ext A rings & Ext B rings

This is simple to do on other systems but I have never tried to do this with 3CX and I can't seem to find a way.

I am aware of configuring two phones for a single extension but in this case, Ext B needs to remain a separate extension, just need to ring B whenever A is dialed.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of is to tell the user of Ext A to start giving out a different extension to everyone that's actually a ring group extension. This however does not hold up for things like DialByName and probably a bunch of other things.

Thanks in advance for any help from anyone that has solved this issue before.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You have two options:

1. If a multi-line capable phone, you can always manually set-up one of the unused line keys to be the same extension as the other extension. Fundamentally, this phone would then have 2 accounts and will ring whenever the primary or secondary extension is rung, be it as a direct call or as a ring group, etc.

2. Assuming the other extension has BLF capability, set-up a key to monitor the desired extension. While it will not ring per se, there is at least the visual indicator that will indicate a ring.

3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

I recommend the #1 option. A third option is to put Extension B's extension number in as the mobile phone for Extension A and set Extension A to "ring my mobile at the same time".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.