• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring group across Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasn78

Reaction score
what I am wondering is if it is possible that 3CX can have a ring group setup that it extensions on both sides of the bridge ring together. Example being when someone presses “2” for support after dialling the Bundaberg external number it rings extensions 203 and 204 in Bundaberg and extensions 102,104 in Brisbane which are connected through a bridge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are the external extension numbers (the ones on the other end of the bridge) even available when you go to "populate" the ring group?

leejor, no they are not. What I was thinking of doing was setting up the extensions on both ends and having that extension forward to an external number which happens to be setup to dial the extension across the bridge. EG extension 104 is setup on the Bundaberg end of the bridge but is inactive and I have setup a forwarding rule to dial an external number of "104" which due to my outbound rules should dial that extension across the bridge.

Now I have it working that I can manually dial 104 from the Bundaberg office and it connects ok but doing this as a forwarding rule isnt working. Any suggestions?

One issue that could complicate the scenario you propose is...calls to a ring group rely on the PBX knowing that the call isn't to follow "normal" call forwarding rules. Say one extension in a ring group had call immediate forwarding to voicemail, or a mobile, activated , that rule would be followed if someone were to call the extension directly, but you don't want a call to the ring group going to that persons voicemail/mobile (mobiles voicemail) instead of trying all the other members of the ring group.

Say 3CX allowed you to forward one leg (ring group member call)to an extension on the other PBX and that person was on the phone, what is to happen to that call? The PBX at the other end just knows to send the call right to Voicemail, the originating PBX would only know that the call had been answered. Once again, it would never get to the other ring group members.

leejor, nevermind I have found a work around which is to setup the softphones we are using with 2 accounts, 1 for each end of the bridge.

Sipura (now Cisco via linksys) used to make an ATA, the SPA1001, that did the same thing. Two different registrations terminating on one analogue set. It's a great device for registering with two 3CX set-ups. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued.
I think you can do the same with their SPA9xx multi line series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.