Ring Group Answer multiple calls

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by bkeat, Apr 26, 2017.

Ring Group Answer multiple calls 4.9 5 47votes
4.9/5, 47 votes

1. bkeat

I have a ring group setup for my customer, it is setup as a ring all, it rings two extensions. if one person is on the phone, it rings the other phone, but if the person that is on the phone needs to answer the second call; they want to be able to place the call on hold and pickup the second call. the problem is when they place the call on hold their phone does not start ringing so they can pick it up. This is a basic receptionist job. I have been told by 3cx support that the only way to answer the second call is to use 3cxphone.

RMH, ChrisMcGhan and Brian Cross like this.
  2. paurus

+10

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  3. 13casa

+1
    It would be very usefull to have an option to activate the reception of multiple calls directly on a phone for a member of a ring group

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  4. outlaw

Issue – Second call is not presented to user when answering calls via Ring groups

Scenario:

1. Inbound calls ring to a Ring Group, ring strategy RING ALL.

2. User picks up a call. Is on an active call or call is on hold.

3. Second call rings through the ring group extension.

4. Same user who took first call, does not receive the second call

5. Admin confirms the phone has multiple line keys programmed, and has the setting enabled for “accept multiple calls,” but still can’t accept more than one call on a ring group.

Answer –

Change the “Busy Option for ring group” from ‘PBX Status’ to “Busy Status’

1. Go to settings then Parameters

2. Use the search bar, and type in – ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP

3. Change the Value to 1

Multiple calls from a ring group will now be presented to users.

simply7 and Alroger Gomes Jr like this.
  5. Brian Cross

Brian Cross New Member

I think we are looking for a more supported option. One that 3cx support will recognize. Although this works, if you have an issue you are on your own to figure it out.

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  6. THCO

Please upvote this as it is needed for smaller installations.

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  7. ChrisMcGhan

I read we were not to change that value... Lots of support tickets with that param changed... Has this been lifted?

8. nicedoggie

This is a needed feature.

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  9. nicedoggie

I have implemented this on two systems and am testing it. This is a feature that has obvious advantages to customers. It is one of the normally "expected" features and is a negative selling point if it isn't available. I would put more resources into this if I were the 3CX development manager.

ChrisMcGhan likes this.
  10. tsteffens

11. dkeethler

12. ZenTekDS

I can't imagine how this isn't a feature already in the system. This is basic functionality. The parameter above did work for me until the recent build.

13. Brian Cross

Brian Cross New Member

14. broadcastguy

Yes! This is needed! +1

15. humansys

Edit: It does look like this is idential to an IN PROGRESS idea thread:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...s-for-queue-and-ring-group-in-progress.43410/ Great! Hope it makes it into the next version!

I just tested this, and this works fine on our phones n V14. If a second call comes in from a ring group to an extension with "allow multiple calls" checked, it can be picked up by pressing "answer", and it automatically puts the other call on hold. If a third call comes in, it can be picked up by pressing "answer", and the 2nd call is automatically put on hold. We've been running with this feature enabled for a couple years without issue. I just tested, and I can un-hold each subsequent caller successfully, or transfer them somewhere else.

I'm very concerned this is not a supported configuration for 3CX.

Telling a client to hire extra staff to answer phones is not a solution.

Using Queues is not a fix to this issue, as Queues really don't work well for a normal office environment - you can't ring multiple extensions at once properly with a Queue. Either Queues needs to be expanded to be a fully-functioning replacement for a Ring Group, or Ring Groups need to be able to pick up multiple calls.

BLF is not a fix for this issue, as you'd need a BLF for every additional caller you want to put on hold.

Parking calls would work in this scenario, as long as *one* additional call can be answered when dialing a ring group, but it sounds like that's not the case currently.

So, does this mean this feature is *broken* in V15.5? Or does this only come into affect on SIP phones that don't have two line appearances (E.G. most phones list your extension on both lines, specifically so you can take multiple calls!). If so, that will mean we'll have to stop being a 3CX partner, as we can't have half of our clients requiring a different phone system. That's just silly.

#15 humansys, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  16. Tmccallum

+1000, I have multiple clients actively NEEDING this feature to replicate their usual business practices. For us to put in a NEW system to replace their 15 Year old system and not being able to even replicate that older system is downright SAD!!!
    This is a Mandatory feature for our clients to continue using this and we can not recommend this software in the future until these things are added.

Alroger Gomes Jr likes this.
  17. Alroger Gomes Jr

Same here. I can't start selling 3CX until I have this feature working!

18. ppickens

As someone that's worked with 3CX for years, I'm fine with this being unsupported from my perspective. It's an issue though if it's a client that doesn't know it in and out like those of us that work with 3CX on a daily basis. I highly suggest there be a supported way of doing so on an individual and global level. It's important in larger installs that some departments want the ring group notify them if they're on this phone (much like a reception ring group would require). Other departments may not want this feature though.

19. Alroger Gomes Jr

Ok, that's working for us here with the latest 3CX linux. I haven't noticed any side-effects.

Thanks.

Mohammed alnimr and outlaw like this.
  20. MatthewHood