• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Group Answering issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFIT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having a bunch of odd issues with one of my customers.

They're setup with:
  • 3CX Phone System 9.0.13545.594 SP2
    It's running on a Windows XP Professional workstation (2GB RAM)
    They're using Broadvox as a SIP provider and a 1.5megabit T1 connection provided by Verizon.
    12 Linksys SPA941 phones w/ the 5.1.8 firmware

Environment:
This is a small shop with a gigabit lan. Each phone has it's own network connection directly to the patch panel while each computer has a similar setup. There are 2 Dell Gigabit switches on the server rack and connected to an Untangle Firewall.

They have a 2nd office a few towns away with 4 of the Linksys phones using a VPN connection back to the primary site.
The connection at the 2nd office is 2 DSL (384Kb upload) lines. They're using the G729 codec and the phones are connected through one DSL line while the computers are routed through the 2nd one (to give the full 384Kb to the 4 phones). This isn't working very well and thoughts are to upgrade the DSL to a T1 connection. (thoughts?)

Problems:
The main oddity now is the following: A call comes into the "Everybody" ring group. All phones at the main location ring. After 15 seconds, it rolls over to the "Everyone & Warehouse" ring group which includes those in the 2nd office too.

This does work, however we're getting reports that if one person answers a call (while all phones are ringing), the other phones sometimes continues to ring. If someone else picks up the phone it appears to be connected, however there's noone on the other end. In fact that call is already being handled by someone else.

I'm not sure if this is a 3CX configuration issue or a phone problem or something with the networking that's not sending the proper signals to the other phones that the call has been answered. Any ideas as to where to start troubleshooting this? What could the problem be?

Additional Info
Other information that may or may not play into this... some of their phones inconsistently reboot. As if the power was pulled, but that's not the case. The Linksys phones also randomly have a "flashing mute" button which I've read to be related to "network connectivity issues". We've replaced the switches and have cleaned up the network as much as possible, but can't seem to locate any additional issues here. There's also some over utilization of power in the office (lots of overpopulated power strips/surge protectors being used). We've suggested having an electrical engineer to their site to assess their power needs and address is accordingly. I'm not sure if that can play a role in this or not, but wanted it known.

Help?

I dont personally like the VPN as there could still be potential firewall issues. It sounds like a latency problem with the "extended" ringing when the phone has been answered.

Without going into details on how you are dual wan'ing traffic and firewalls/vpn set up etc I would say the better option is T1. I would also set up the "warehouse" lines using the tunnel rather than VPN, even while on the current set up.

If you are going to two T1's we may be able to help you. We provide MPLS T1's and DSL and the MPLS will be a big advantage for you. By all means PM me if you want more information on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWinker
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.