Ring group/Call queu issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ArjanVl, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArjanVl

Hi All,

We have a 3CX 10.0.24018.2322 SP6 running at the moment.
    We want to have a call queue if a person calls and the phone is not answered.

I have a ring group with 4x Yealink -T26P which rings simultanious on incoming calls. Normally there is no issue with calls being answered, but it happens sometimes they have a day off and only one person is available. We dont wanna keep the phone unanswered, but also want to keep that personal touch by answering manual instead of a autoresponder.

So I configured the following:
    RingGroup ID 802 - ext. 611 & 612
    Call Queue ID 803 - ext 611 & 612
    If the call is not answered on 802, it will continue to 803 after 30 secs. Pretty straight forward right?

I tested a few things.
    1) Two callers after each other
    All goes well, after 30 secs, caller 2 ends up in the queue. Nothings wrong. Best case scenario :)

2) Two callers, almost simultanious or short after each other. (this WILL happen on a regular basis)
    Caller 1 is being answered, but caller 2 ends up in the queue imediately! No chance for the second operator to answer... 3CX detects line busy... poof... into queue... Yes we can answer the queue, but its less personal.

3) Two callers, after each other, but they hang up line 1 within the 30 sec ringtime.
    There's an issue. The phone that just hung up, just wont ring on the initial 30 sec group. We have to wait for it to get into queue. On the Yealink there will not be an issue, as we can answer all phones with the buttons on the phone. Queue is handled according to caller time though.

Finally, with multiple lines connected, I noticed callers 1 and 2 both get a message they are first in queue... and the 3rd caller gets the message 2nd in queue. Of course people wont notice when calling, but... I did and it's a beauty bug, nothing big, but its a bug.

Any thoughts on this...?

2. efounco

efounco New Member

Ring groups work poorly for managing multiple calls. If a phones status is set to busy, The phone will ignore the ring signal from the server. Thus, if an incoming ring group comes in just before you disconnect from another call, the phone will never ring. In theory, If you had each and every extension setup to use "Phone Presence" and enabled the "ALLOWBUSYOPTFORGROUP" feature in Custom Parameters, you could answer the call on the phone's second line but it's messy and confusing...

Instead of using ring groups for incoming calls, you should try using queues. Setup a queue for all incoming calls. Select "USProgresstone.wav" for the music on hold so the caller perceives that the phone is ringing. Then, after XX amount of seconds of going unanswered in the first queue, forward the call into a second queue that plays audio and presence.

If you have the phones configured for both queues, it should ring as soon as the the line is available to take another call...

3. ArjanVl

Hi efounco,

Thanks for the tip. Thats something I will have to look into. So actually the phone is answered, but we spoof em by letting them hear a ringtone...

On the other hand, its quite odd the ring groups dont work properly, as my supplier of 3cx said its the best way to handle calls into a group. I hope things will be improved for v11... Anyone had a chance to test this on v11?

4. efounco

efounco New Member

Version 11 works the same as version 10. We have been live on version 11 for several months now...

We are still using ring groups, like you, with the phone presence/multi-line method as I described above. I can't recommend this method however. It's a bit confusing for the operators to handle multiple calls simultaneously and they occasionally drop calls trying to answer other lines. I've been waiting for a company holiday (4th of July) to switch over to the queue method as I mentioned. Right now, all of our calls go to a ring group, ring for 40 seconds and then transfer to an automated attendant.

The multiple queue method is simple to setup. However, if you would rather have a single queue, you can achieve the same results with some basic audio file manipulation. Here's how:

1. Create a loop of the "USProgresstone.wav" for the desired amount of rings; save the file as "ProgresstoneIntro.wav" in the Prompts folder on the server. Take notice to the amount of seconds it takes to play the file.
    2. Create a queue and assign "ProgresstoneIntro.wav" to the intro.
    3. Create a music on hold file with your desired audio. Include a enough blank audio at the beginning of the file so that the "ProgresstoneIntro.wav" does not overlap your audio.

Tada, a single queue that handles the call completely.

A huge benefit of using queues over ring groups is that you can have other users sign in and answer calls when you are short staffed.

5. efounco

efounco New Member

^^ Scratch that idea, Haha.

The music on hold and intro file overlap themselves on the second call because the music on hold continues to play from where it left off...

Instead, you would need to create a single intro audio file with both the ringtones and audio in one.

6. efounco

efounco New Member

^^ Which brings up a few other issues...

1. The intro plays once, so your audio will need to be longer than the queue timeout.
    2. The queue position/announcements will not play because it will not interrupt the intro.

So, yeah multiple queues looks like the best way to achieve this if you want queue position/announcements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.