Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Ring group caller ID prefix

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by upcraft, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upcraft

I was hoping to have calls to different ring groups show a different prefix and hopefully set a custom ringtone for some. I think the Yealink phones have something I can configure on the individual phones to match with a caller ID prefix but I'm not seeing how to add the prefix of the ring group name anywhere in the 3cx configuration. It still just shows the name of the caller or internal extension that dialled the ring group and nothing else.

Any hints?

Version 15.5 sp1 so the newer settings menu layout is what I'm looking through.

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

This is not possible via the console

You would have to create custom templates

3. upcraft

I can see a custom template or manual phone config is required for the ringtone part. Maybe I didn't say it clearly enough but I already see how I can do that.

But that doesn't answer how to have the PBX send the caller ID with ring group name as a prefix. The prefix is required or the phone has nothing to match against to play the secondary ringtone file.

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

5. upcraft

I believe you are wrong.

Yes a fully integrated feature to add the distinctive ring is not present in the current provisioning templates.
    I already know that. It's why I said "I can configure on the individual phones to match with a caller ID prefix" That means I go to the webUI of the phone to setup a custom ringtone. But in order for that to work I need the caller ID data to have some text I can use to have the phone detect which ring group is being called. All done manually on each phone not on the PBX. The idea thread you quoted is for the PBX to support this feature natively end to end sending the SIP headers and configuration details in the phone provisioning. No manual phone programming required.

At this point I do not give a damn if the phones are provisioned properly by the PBX. I only want the ring group name to be added to the beginning of the caller ID and I will manually setup the phones where I want this to work. If they add it to the phone provisioning templates later then great but for now I'm not worried about that.

So,
    CAN I SHOW THE NAME OF THE RING GROUP IN THE CALLER ID DATA?

This post:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/v10-ring-group-how-to-show-the-caller-id-fixed.20179/
    Indicates back in version 10 it was located in:
    General
    Global options
    Append group and DID names to caller ID On/OFF

But that option has obviously moved since the entire settings section has been completely reorganized since version 10 and I don't see where it's been moved to now.

6. complex1

complex1 Active Member

For v15.5-SP1 please goto:
    Contacts
    Options
    Add Group, Queue or DID/DDI Names to Caller ID

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    YiannisH_3CX likes this.
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

All this depends on where distinctive ring does it's match on the caller ID. If it is in the number field, then you can change the prefix in the CID trunk options, but this would have to be changed before being sent to a ring group. I'm not certain if distinctive ring can be based on the name field, as this is where changes occur when you add "something" to identity a ring group or queue.

8. us1

us1

This will achieve what you're looking for from the perspective of appending the ring group to the caller ID.

9. upcraft

Yes Contacts then Options works!

Thank you, it was disabled. I set it to prepend and it now shows the name of the ring group. It serves my immediate needs for now.

Ultimately yes the suggestion to add the name to the alert-info header will be a critical feature that is sorely needed and a bit embarrassing that it's not already part of the software at this stage in it's development. I'm not sure what the product manager is thinking but I would see this as a deal breaker in many cases. They need this in the product today not some time in the future. It should have been there since the beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.