Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Ring Group calling 'Out of Office' extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by PaulD, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulD

Hi

I have just discovered that even if all phones in a ring group are logged 'Out of Office', they still ring when the group is called - is this right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. netswork

netswork Active Member

By logged out of office do you mean their status in myphone is set to "out of office"? What are the forwarding settings for internal and external calls on their out of office forwarding tab?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PaulD

Yes, poor terminology. I do mean that their status is set to 'Out of Office'.

The ring group is set to forward to the voice mail of Ext 1006 if a call goes unanswered.
    All 4 extensions are set to forward calls to the voicemail of extension 1006 when 'Out of Office' status is set.

RG is set to Prioritized Hunt - each rings in turn despite being set to 'Out of Office'.

4. netswork

netswork Active Member

I believe it works this way so that if your in a ring group and you have something like ring my mobile setup, your mobile is not ringing every time the ring group is dialed. If there is a way around this I am not aware of it. If they set their phone to DND it wont ring.

5. netswork

netswork Active Member

Do you have the "Allowusebusyoptforgroup" custom parameter set to 1?

6. PaulD

It is set to 0. I'm trying to understand what it does.

7. netswork

netswork Active Member

It allows you to accept more then one call at the same time for a ring group. So if you set that to 1 and check the box on the extension that allows more then one call at a time, then you can take more than one call in the ring group. I use it often for ring all groups, I rarely use the top down hunt method.

Maybe someone else can explain better the reason behind the status having no effect on the ring group calls. It seems the ring group calls are only effected by the phones status (DND, call forwarding) and not the user/myphone status.

I guess if you want to get out of the ring group for now you can use the phones DND feature.

8. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the call is owned by the ring group. As such, the personal status settings have no effect. If the status was in play then one could have it set such that an away status might be set to call forward to xxxx. If the first person in the group were to go to lunch and then set their status to away, then no call sent to the group would make it past the first member as they would all be forwarded. However, individual calls directed to the extension will respond to the status.

9. PaulD

I fear that you are right. However, I would have expected the ring group to retain ownership of the call, but NOT to direct the calls to any extension that was 'AWAY' or 'OUT OF OFFICE'.

10. netswork

netswork Active Member

Nice explanation lneblett. Paul, in order for it to do what you are wanting the ring group would have to ignore or skip any phones with status other than "available". Since the default out of office setting is to go to voicemail then the caller hitting the ring group would end up in one of the extensions voicemail rather than do what your ring group is configured to do. I have tested and it works the way you want if you set the phone in the ring group to DND. The ring group acts on the Phone's status rather than the users/extensions status.

11. PaulD

Hi

Thanks for everyones efforts. I accept that the ring group will not behave as I would wish.

Many thanks for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.