Ring Group dials All, Even if Logged Out

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by miles, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miles

Hi,

Ever since upgrading to version 9 (the latest) last week, we have had a weird glitch. We have a ring group with 6 members, and when a call comes in to it, it goes to every member, regardless of their status being logged in or out.

When dialing *62, it tells us we are in the queue, and I can see the status update. *63 says the person is out of the queue.

These are Grandstream GXP 2020's. I can see in the log that it's RingAll (which is what the Ring Group is set to instead of Hunt).

So users are complaining they can log out of the queue but they still get the calls. It does the same thing for Queue and it does for Ring Group.

Thanks,
    Miles

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are they part of a ring group or part of a queue? You don't log in and out of a ring group.

3. miles

Either or. I used a RG in version 8 and when they logged out, their phone wouldn't ring. Seems to be the same even if they are a Queue.

4. kent

I have a similar issue. I don't understand why a ring group would ring an extension if it is on "call forwarding" or "out of office" etc. It doesn't seem logical.

5. miles

Ok, well, I tried a queue instead of a ring group.
    1. The ring group works but calls everyone, no matter what their status is.
    2. The queue calls only the logged in people, but the call drops after giving me the "please wait while we transfer" and playing on-hold music for about 5 seconds. Their phones get a half-ring.

So neither one will work how it did in Version 8. Is it possible to downgrade from 9 to 8 without losing any voicemail/settings?

6. stuart.rendall

We too have a similar problem.

Our receptionist is part of a ringgroup and a member of a queue, and the system seems to ignore the status she sets using the call assistant.

Calls go through to her no matter wheher she is away or not.

It seems to have started last week for no apparent reason, there have been no adjustments to the system.

7. kent

I am getting a lot of grief about this! I know there is no tech support in this forum so how can we get 3CX to respond to this post?

8. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

To reply to the first post...
    It seems you have completely misunderstood the way how Queues and Ring Groups work.

1) Ring Groups are Ring Groups.
    2) Queues are Queues

Now if you go in your extension settings or if you call *62 or *63 it clearly says that you can login and out of QUEUES.
    This feature does not log you in and out of Ring Groups. As it's description says, it logs you in and out of Queues, i hope this makes it clear that Queues and Ring Groups are 2 different components of the Phonesystem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. kent

Hi Leonidas

Just for the record, I see that the original poster is using the "log in"/"log out" function which I accept why it doesn't work for ring groups, but is there any reason why Ring Groups still ring all users even if they are "Out of Office" or set their phones on Divert?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but they are related as the original poster would then probably be able to achieve the same result by having users change their status to "Away" etc or put their call divert on/off.

10. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Setting your Status to Away / Out of office is just a simpler way of Forwarding All Calls to 999 or somewhere else.
    Ever since i've known, the 3CX PBX does not allow Ring Group calls to be forwarded to VoIcemail, that would simply break the functionality of a Ring group.

Imagine calling a Ring Group with 10 members and the first one is set to Out of Office to forward all calls to 999.
    You just called in and instead of the Ring Group continuing to ring all 10 members, it immediately takes you to the first agent's voicemail.
    Would you like that? That's breaking the Ring Group's functionality, and that's why "Away / Out of office" does not work in Ring Groups.

There is no way to "Logout" from a ring group, but you can use the *61 DND function as an alternative.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. stuart.rendall

When setting up a ringgroup a 'destination if unanswered' is specified.

I would expect that if no members were 'available' i.e. away, busy, unregistered, etc. then the incoming call would be passed immediately to that destination.

This seemed to be how it worked in the previous version.

12. kent

No I wouldn't like it. I'd really like it if 3CX PBX would "ignore" that extension instead. Imagine a small office with 3 users all in a ring group, but 2 users are out to lunch. The remaining user doesn't want to be disturbed by the other phones ringing when he is on the phone. Would dialling *61 on the other 2 phones achieve this?

13. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Kent
    Yes, *61 would help achieve this.

stuart.rendall
    Putting aside the fact that this is yet another unrelated question to the topic ... :mrgreen:
    You just just explained how ring groups have worked in all previous versions including V9

14. stuart.rendall

I'm glad I understand this.
    However, as I stated above, this week, the system seems to be ignoring the ringgroup members status and always ringing them.

15. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes and if you scroll 4 posts upwards, you will see that i've explained the reasons why User Statuses don't work with Ring Groups.

Although Kent made an interesting point regarding how Ring Groups should work. He should make a Feature Request on our Idea Website regarding that as it sounds as a good idea.

16. miles

I checked my RG/Queue config from 8 and determined I was actually using a Queue instead of a RG.

Well, regardless, the Queue hung up on my callers on V9 and not on V8. So I'm staying on 8 for the foreseeable future.

17. kent

As suggested, I have now posted this on the ideasite - http://3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ring-Groups-should-ignore-people-who-are-away/80135-9854

18. stuart.rendall

LeonidasG, thank you for our patience.

However, I am almost certain that ringgroups worked as Kent's suggestion prior to version 9. Our office is quite like the situation he describes.

I implemented our ringgroup/queue scheme in June, on the basis that ringgroups ignore extensions set to 'away'. It is only since I installed the V9 upgrade that I have had complaints that it doesn't work.

It may be that nobody had noticed before, but surely that is quite unlikely.

Anyway, I shall register a vote on the ideas site, and hope it gets implemented soon.

19. dotnetfabrik

Is there any progress on this item?
    I'd also like to have ring groups primarily - but ringing phones whose owners are known to be away is just silly.

20. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

I very much doubt that this is something we want to implement.
    If you ever previously had such behavior, it was most definately a bug that we fixed.

Simply the idea of Ringing a person who is away / out on lunch does not make sense to me... Why would you want to do such a thing?
    It definately makes much more sense to ignore such extensions. If a user lets say "forgets" his extension on away and misses queue calls, it's his responsibility to do something about it.
    If a user is simply away, why would you ever wanna ring his extension?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.