Ring group - Extension forward to mobile not working

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by m.tiggelaar, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m.tiggelaar

I have the Free v10 version running.
    Got the outbound rules properly configured. (can call out to the mobile just fine.. using the 7 - 10 no. digit outbound rule - non extension specific)
    I have a Digital Receptionist (playing a welcome message) --> Forwards it to ring group --> Ring group rings with priority.
    1) The first one on the list is busy..
    2) The second one on the list got forwarding rules on (every single rule is set to forward to my mobile.. my mobile is the correct no. i can call it from the inside to the outside using 3CX windows phone.)
    3) If none of those pick up.. THEN it supposed to go to voicemail of an extension.

Now what i get is that it skips that Extension with the forward rule on even if it's the first priority in the list. (i can't even find it back in the log.. the extension just does not appear anywhere)
    If i enable Forward to external number if no one picks up (instead of forward to voicemail) and enter the same mobile no as the extension has.. it works fine..

The Ring group ring time is set on 50 seconds.

Am i doing something wrong? if so.. whats wrong with this kind of setup?

Regards,
    Marco

2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

we have the same problem. since last sp3 it's impossible to forward of mobile phone of extension

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but perhaps, the intended use of forward to a mobile , is that that , if unanswered, the call will bounce back to a specific extensions voicemail. Forward to an outside number, may not have that intention. Does that sound logical?

Have you tried sending the unanswered call in the ring-group to a dummy extension (no set registered), that is in turn, forwarded to a mobile?

Extension forwarding rules, when receiving a "ring group call" will be ignored, as the call was not intended for that specific person. You have to use the ring group options, on what to do with a call, if no one in the ring group answers.

4. m.tiggelaar

Sorry for my late reply.. it seems i forgot to subscribe to my own post >.<

Well.. for us it's quite important to be able to forward a call (and can set the seconds to ring to stop it from hitting their mobile voicemail).

As we do alot of Server support on many different locations (outside our office.. and if possible using terminals from the office ofcourse)

And yes.. the extension where i wanted to test forward on has never logged in through a softphone or anything. (so it's like you described a dummy extension).

Now because we work on alot of different locations forward to mobile option of the ring group really makes the ring group a single user group .. (so i do not quite get that option.. as.. whats the point of a ringgroup then?)

however does answer my question.. and actually automatically makes 3CX not suiteable for my company to use.

this kind of leaves lync and asterisk...
    Or will the forwarding rules apply if the extension is in a query ?
    (as all we really need is our extension forwarding rules to apply in a group aswell)

Regards,
    Marco

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are you using the Ring My Mobile Simultaneously option or just the Call Forward option of the extension?

6. m.tiggelaar

I tried both.
    But when i'm not logged into that extension it doesn't even show up in the log .. it's not even attempted or seen at all.

So i think it's 3CX that doesn't allow the use of Forward in a ring group as mentioned above..
    I do think that is a real loss.. and for most people i think it makes the forward function completely useless unless internal people are trying to reach them (but.. you would think they know their mobile number directly anyways)

Either way.. i find this real odd.. and actually the first time i seen this function to fail in any PBX software.

As i mentioned above.. this imidiately disqualifies 3CX to be used in my company.

To bad.. and i hope they fix that feature soon...

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

It is strange...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. m.tiggelaar

sorry,
    I might of misspoken there that option is grayed out.. Other than that how will it ring both simultaneously when it doesn't even attempt to ring the extension (in the logs?)

also.. i see you’re a developer.. then a little tip: fix the loader in the administration pages.. it's loading every few seconds making it VERY annoying just to click and apply settings. (that should be an easy fix :p)

Other than that.. i still wonder the biggest question of all..: at first glance your forwarding options seems much more advanced than any other system i seen so far.. but then it's not applied in ring groups ... may i ask why this is?

or - why it changed? (as mentioned above it used to work fine till the older versions)

and.. besides simultaneous call - is there a way to get it back to work? (as that seems to bypass all other extensive forwarding rules which was actually one of the main appealing points compared to our FreePBX systems)

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If a feature is greyed out, then i have to assume that you are using the free version and it isn't a supported feature.

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison.html

You can apply the Demo key and unlock all features but then limiting 3CX to two concurrent calls.

Most people want a call made directly to an extension to go wherever they have call forwarding pointed, voicemail, another extension, another outside number. etc. But a call to a ring group assumes that there is someone else in the office (department) that could be taking the call, perhaps at an adjacent desk.

The final route for an unanswered ring group is there to take care of no one in the office answering it.

10. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

it is not related to the topic... :eek: ;)

Regards

11. m.tiggelaar

Well.. my question got answered.. the forwarding is not possible.. not in the way that it should be done anyways..

Ring both at once.. a good by pass.. but not cost efficient to always ring mobile no's on every single call. (this would rise calling costs by alot).

third option would be a softphone on our cellphones.. most lovely but in server rooms most often no 3G available.

my conclusion: It's too bad the forwarding rule does not work in any kind of group (not even if you really want it to).
    This makes 3CX unsuitable for my company (or any other company that got many employees running all over the place).

in the end: i hope this will be fixed in future versions (but judging from the responces this won't happine at anytime soon).
    I will leave you with one advice: if no one wants forwarding rules applied to groups.. then why is this the only pbx i found so far that can't forward in a group?.

- Thank you all for being patient and taking your time to reply my questions :)

12. netswork

netswork Active Member

I have a setup like this:

after hours digital receptionist answers. Caller presses a number for an emergency. That number rings a ring group full of dummy extensions. Those dummy extensions are set to "forward all calls to" an external number...cell phone. There are 8 dummy extensions in this ring group all forwarded to a cell phone and all the cell phones ring at the same time. This ring group rings for 20 seconds and then forward to a voicemail box if no cell phones answer.

This works for me on V10 sp3.

13. m.tiggelaar

hmm.. that sounds like a better work around..
    but.. i do not see an upside to 3CX with workarounds
    compared to Microsoft Lync for example (nearly the same price for us)
    or the opensource FreePBX. (FreePBX has some other downsides concerning multiple offices around the world – no bridging functionality as far as we know)

In the end.. we are looking for a Good and decent solution to replace our existing PBX structure (with HA / Failover capability's and multi office).

Where 3CX stood out on many aspects the most basic and most used function is not present: forwarding (in ring group)
    Comparing to other solutions like Lync for example - they do not have those issues.

All with all we are exploring a GOOD replacement.. for a good replacement you really don't want to look for workarounds to get what you want. you simply look for the best product matching your requirements. (and after that you look for the best price aspect :p)

So for me.. this discussion is closed and we are now checking out other solutions who do fit our needs more.
    Too bad.. as besides this .. (and the loader issue in the admin pages) i really liked the product.

As far as the community.. that was a good expirience as well (this forum) ;)
    So thank you all for your input :)

14. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

m.tiggelaar,

Logs taken from management console can be added to the message. It allows readers to understand how PBX has been configured to handle concrete call.
    Why don't you post it?
    This type of situations is described in http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html

15. m.tiggelaar

Well as i mentioned before: there's really nothing to post about the log.
    as it just skips the entire extension.

So all you will see is just a phone call being made.. and go to either voicemail or extension that is logged in using softphone.

Secondary from the responses it already showed that it was not an error.. or an problem.. it is simply a feature that is not present in 3CX.

Then the entire log is useless..

So the simple conclusion: Normally a log is very handy and needed to understand and solve the problem. However not every situation shows up in a log or beneficial to solve every issue.

Also i got my answer as shown in previous posts.. so this comment kind of seems like a attempt to make it more personal than anything useful.

As far as the responses goes.. i already said thank you twice (as they where helpful and accurate).
    The only problem here is simply that i'm looking for a feature that’s not included into 3CX anymore (even though it's a very basic one). so.. i move on and find a better suited program for my own requirements.

16. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

So, topic is closed.
    <edited>
    Thanks for the time you spent on this topic, but your information is not complete and doesn't explain real situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.