Ring Group MWI (Shared voice mailbox)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Colin Reid, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Reid

Hello all,

I need some guidance in setting up a ring group that has one (1) shared voice mailbox. Here is what has been done thus far:

1- ext 8101, 8102, 8103 created and phones registered.
    2- ring group 5124 created and ext 8101,8102, 8103 added. mode is 'ring all'
    3- dummy ext 9124 created for ring group voice mail and added to ring group if unanswered options.

The ring group works as intended with all 3 phones ringing and in unanswered, the voice mailbox for 9124 is activated.

Challenge:
    1 - How do I configure the 3CX to activate the MWI on the exts in the ring group when a voice mail is available for 9124?
    2 - What dial code should I use to access the voice mailbox from exts 8101, 8102, 8103 for ring group voice mailbox 9124?

3CX Version is 10, telephones are Teledex 3302SIP.

Regards
    Colin

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

If you don't need to transfer calls between extensions, it would probably just be easier make all the desk sets the same extension.

If you did need to move calls between them, you could use shared parking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

A couple of things -

I recommend changing the phones used in the RG. The Teledex is a good phone, but this model is primarily used in the hospitality industry as a room phone for hotels or for common areas.

The biggest drawback to the phone is the lack of a display and some of the more commonly found "button" features used on business/office style phones and more specifically - the ability to support multiple accounts on a single phone. The display is really needed so you can see which accounts and get the benefit of any other info that might be available - caller-id, extension #, number dialed, which ring group, etc.

Conceivably, what you could do is set each phone up with its own extension and then assign these extensions to the ring group - as you have done with the Teledex. Then, using the second account on all phones within the ring group, use your common extension "9124". Then set extension 9124 within each phone as "DND". You can also hide 9124 from the MyPhone and directory such that no one tries it, but should they, the DND set on all the phones will still direct the call to Vmail for 9124.

Presumably, when a call comes in it will go to the ring group and assuming that all RG extensions are busy or otherwise fail to answer, the call will go to your designated last resort of "go to the Vmail box of 9124". This should then trigger the MWI on the phones' second account and anyone in the ring group can then switch to the second account and retrieve as the code will be the same regardless of who or from where the Vmail is accessed.

4. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Here is a solution I have used with Polycom phones, guess it would work with others.

Set up extensions as you did, say 100, 110, 120 all with their own VM

Set up additional extension for group VM 199

Assuming that 999 is the access number for voice mail

Set up a voip provider call VM Access as a "Generic SIP trunk" using 199 as the authentication ID the password from the extension 199 and the local IP address of the server you are using.

Add an entry in the outbound rules for a number 198 that uses the voip provider (VM Access) you set up, strips the first 3 digits of the number and prepends it with 999

Go to "Settings" "Advanced Options" "Custom Parameters" put VM in the filter box and adjust "VMPINREQUIRED" to 0

Now when any user dials 198 the call will be router through VM Access to extension 199 and to the IVM giving instant access to anyone of the voice mail on your group voice mail.

For MWI I set the first line of the phone to its extension (100) and the second line to 199 but not registered. I then set the MWI for the second line to 199 and added an off hook autodial of 198

Now for each user they get their own VM with MWI but also a second line that flashes the MWI and when selected automatically connects to the IVM for message retrial of the group VM.

I have used Polycom IP300, IP301, IP500, and IP501 and all worked fine like this, I am sure other phones would as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.