Ring group - not ringing if on phone initially

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by muaddib32, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muaddib32

I have set up a ring group with ring all as the strategy. Users are complaining that if they are on another call initially and finish that call to answer the incoming call that their handset doesn't start ringing when they hang up from the first call even though they are part of the call group.

So clearly the ring group doesn't poll to see if any other phones that are part of the ring group become available once it has started ringing. The 3CX system just checks which handsets are available when it first receives the call. Is that correct?

Is there a way to change this? On all PSTN PABX I've ever used if someone hangs up and there is an incoming call their handset starts ringing. Or will I just have to instruct them to use keystrokes to pick up the call from another extension? Which would be very annoying for them.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The thinking probably is... if the call is going to a ring group then someone else, in the group, will pick up the call rather than someone having to end their current call. If this is a concern then you may want to consider a multi line set with the same extension number showing up on more than one key. The person would be aware of a second call and could end or put the first on hold.

3. nbailey

nbailey Member

This is because you have ring all set, so user A hangs up and will not get polled because polling is already started. If you select another strategy then yes if it is polling you will wait until it hits your extension a second time. This is because 3CX gets the busy response from your phone and skips you, 3CX doesn't get a message from you that says "I am free now" it just skips you until the next attempt. If you want to have the phones ring even when they are on a call you need to follow the blog post here:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/ring-groups-paging-intercom/ - updated link

Good luck!

Nate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 nbailey, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  4. muaddib32

Thanks Nate. I made those changes and it's now working exactly the way the staff want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.