RING GROUP- Phone not ringing while on phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by shatty, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shatty

I have a ring group with 3 extensions in it
    If the phone rings and i pick up phone A, when another call comes in phone A will not ring but phones B and C will. Why? Why can I pick up the other calls?
    Using latest version 7 and Linksys SPA 942 phones

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Shatty

If I correctly understand, when second call comes, A is busy with first, while B and C are available. In this case, it seems to be only a problem of who decides a phone's "busy" status - the PBX or the phone itself.

Before changing something, please do the following test:
    - on phone B, or C, or both, call 999 and let it connected;
    - now, while these two are "in talks" with 999, do your test again.

If these phones does not rang, then the reason is the problem I said, and can be fixed easily:
    - in the PBX's Configuration Panel, go to the configuration pages of these A, B, C extensions, in the "Forwarding Rules" tab. There, for each of them, on the bottom side, select the "Use Phone Status" option then press Apply and then OK. You don't need to restart any service. Then repeat your test.

Good luck
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shatty

Kevin, the busy status is already decided by the phone, not the PBX

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Please describe this scenario in details. Do you mean that if you pickup call from extension A then it will not ring anymore?

Thanks
    P.S. to get more precise answers, you should follow guidelines described in http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. shatty

yes..exactly...until I hang up the phone..my phone will not ring if I am on it. In a ring group

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Shatty

I've just tested: 100, 101 in Ring 800, 102 as "external caller"

Ring 800 mode Ring All; 100-101 they decide busy status
    - 102->800: 100&101 ring all - OK. Pickup 100 and stay. From another line 102->100: 100 ring - OK; close this and 102, from another line, call 800: 101 rings - OK.
    Ring 800 mode Ring All; 100-101 PBX decide busy status
    - 102->800: 100&101 ring all - OK. Pickup 100 and stay. From another line 102->100: 100 busy - OK. close this and 102, from another line, call 800: 101 rings - OK

Ring 800 mode Hunt; 100-101 they decide busy status
    - 102->800: 100 ring, 101 no - OK. Pickup 100 and stay. From another line 102->100: 100 ring - OK; close this and 102, from another line, call 800: 101 rings - OK.
    Ring 800 mode Hunt; 100-101 PBX decide busy status
    - 102->800: 100 ring, 101 no - OK. Pickup 100 and stay. From another line 102->100: 100 busy - OK. close this and 102, from another line, call 800: 101 rings - OK

For me this is the correct behavior, including situations when 100 can(not) answer, including those when 101 pickup the second call.

vali

7. shatty

Then I dont understand why mine doesnt work. The phone that I am on will not ring when another call comes in when in a ring group. How do I solve the problem>

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Don't panic 8)

Let's forget for a moment the ring group, let's do directly. Try this:
    - from phone B, call A - A should ring. Pickup and stay
    - from phone C, call A - A should ring on one of its other lines.
    If this test fails, it means either A's busy status is decided by PBX, either something it's wrong with its lines.

If this test succeeds, it means the problem "falls" in one of the cases I've presented above, and between me and you is a misunderstanding (english in not the strongest part of my "knowledge base" :mrgreen: )

cheers
    vali

9. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

You may consider a ring group like being a phone having many lines - its "lines" being phones in the ring.

Therefore, supposing you have group G containing phones A, B, C, each having three LINES:
    - 1st outside call to G - > PBX rings all, "line" A pickup
    - 2nd outside call to G -> "line" A being busy, PBX rings the remaining "lines", B and C; "line B" pickup
    - 3rd outside call to G -> "lines" A and B being busy, PBX ring the remaining C "line" - C pickup
    - 4th outside call to G -> all "lines" being busy, the caller receive from PBX BUSY signal - the G is busy!

But, now:
    - 5th outside call to A-> A find its second LINE free, it rings and pickup
    - 6th outside call to A-> A find its third LINE free, it rings and pickup
    - 7th outside call to A-> caller receive busy, since all A's lines are busy - A is busy!

10. worksighted

worksighted New Member

11. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Mike

Thanks for reply. For me it was - and still is - quite not precisely Shatty's problem: "If the phone rings and i pick up phone A, when another call comes in phone A will not ring but phones B and C will".

This another call is made to the group, or to the phone A? Seems to the group, since B and C ring. If is to the group, and this one is in Ring All mode, it's normal that PBX to find other free extensions - or to find the first next free one if in Hunt mode - instead to apply first the busy mechanism. Only if all extensions in the group are already connected to a group call, then we can invoke - at least, that's my opinion - the problem you said. I don't know how to say better, for me is like having a group of 10 workers, and you want all tasks going only to the first one, instead to dispatch to all of them, and only when all have something to do, to go again to the first one asking "you can do also this job?"

Regards
    vali

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

If you are busy and you want to receive additional calls you have to go to the extension (yours) and set Use Phone status. In this way you will receive additional calls even if you are already busy.

If you still dont receive additional calls on that phone it means that the setting in the PBX is set to the global PBX status for ring groups.

Go to the parameter table in the database and modify this setting
    ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP

Description: ="1" will enable use of phone 'Busy' status instead of 'PBX status' for members of ring groups

Set this to 1. If you dont receive a second call on an extension that is already USE PHONE STATUS then this setting will be set to 0

Search on the forums - somewhere there is an FAQ - (search for worksighted - it is very well explained) on how to connect and change this setting. If you dont feel comfortable doing this wait for 7.1 which will be released soon. This option will be available for modification in the interface so you dont need to connect directly to the database.

13. shatty

Thank you all for your input. I modified the database and will try it first thing MOnday morning since there is nobody in the office right now. Thank you. WIll keep everyone updated

14. shatty

Ok here is the update. I did what you said and disable the ring group and made all external calls go to one extension and when on the phone with one outside line, the second line would ring on the phone so it works good. When I put it back, the second line does not ring. I tried making a second ring group and that didnt work either. I have the latest firmware on all the SPA942's and they are set through the 3cx as busy from phone.

15. worksighted

worksighted New Member

Did you restart your 3CX services after making the database modifcation?

Best,

Mike

16. shatty

17. worksighted

worksighted New Member

Can you call the ring group and answer the call on pne of the phones then call the ring group again. While doing this capture verbose logs in 3cx and post them?

thanks.

Mike

18. perrywell

I know this thread is a number of years old, but I can't find a fix anywhere which appears to always come back to if your using a ring group then the second line won't ring.

I have a new install which is working apart from if an incoming call has been answered then that extension cannot receive another call then might come in. All incoming calls (4 PSTN Lines, Patton 4114) are all set for a Ring Group.

If I set all lines to go to a single extension then it work, the second line you can answer and hold the first etc.

Anybody have a fix?

Thanks
    Alex

19. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

This option under Advanced Settings, Custom Parameters:
    ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP
    ="1" will enable use of phone 'Busy' status instead of 'PBX status' for members of ring groups
    Mine is set to 1.

I use my phone and called another extension. That extension answered.
    Then I used a third phone and called a ring group that I am part of. My phone beeped.

I changed setting to 0 and it DID NOT work. So I think this is what you are looking for.

Please report back.

Alden Lorimor likes this.
  20. perrywell

Many Thanks, that worked.

Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.