Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Ring Group Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jpmigliozzi, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpmigliozzi

I need some help setting up a ring group, or at least I think thats what I need. I am using 3CX to basically route calls to my field techs and we aren't using any physical phones (they are unregistered under each extension but thats ok for now). So each extension is configured with a Ring Group with only one user as a member in which the number auto forwards to an external number. I had to do it this way because Vonage does not allow using the "Forward to External Number" option on the Forwarding tab but for some reason it works when you do this with a Ring Group. Long story short I have two extensions that I would like to do this behavior with to multiple external numbers. Is there a way to do this using the Ring Group "Forward to External Number option" with multiple numbers?

Thanks
    Joe

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

By "multiple numbers", you mean the number(s) that the ring group is forwarded to? How would you expect to change that from one number to another?

3. jpmigliozzi

Actually I was almost hoping to have it ring on multiple numbers at once. So I could have multiple techs on call for a support extension as opposed to it only going to one extension. Does that make sense?

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

1) Create a RING ALL type of group
    2) Set a FORWARD all rule on the members of this ring group to forward to the external number you want. (dont forget the outbound rule)
    3) Check the option in Settings/General/Global options tab -
    "Allow forwarding to external numbers in ring groups"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jpmigliozzi

I tried this with no luck. I think because the phones show as unregistered that the attempt to ring the group members doesn't even go through to them and get to the step of forwarding to an outside number. Maybe I have something set up wrong. It seems to fall straight to the bottom section for what to do when the call is unanswered.

6. jpmigliozzi

Ok, just tried what you suggested with changing the extension forwarding to external number. This seems to work with one caveat, I get this in my error log:

21:27:10.185 [CM503003]: Call(72): Call to sip:17030000000@sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5060 has failed; Cause: 488 Not Acceptable Here; from IP:216.115.20.41:5061

to the external phone number.

I looked this up and someone mentions a limitation Vonage has with SIP using a soft phone. If I have a way around this then I'm set. Another post suggests using a ring group which does work but in this case I would be creating a loop because I'm using a ring group to start with.

So the bottom line is if I can find a way around the Vonage message above I'm set.

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Vonage is replying not acceptable here. Not acceptable is an answer for a lot of different combinations of problems.

The best thing to do is capture this call and analyze it and see why it is giving you not acceptable.

It could be codecs, it could be that the number is not in the correct format. Why don't you check with Vonage?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.