Ring Group Strategy - Ring All - Odd behaviour?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pjr, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjr

pjr New Member

Hi,

I'm just trying to suss out an issue with the Ring All ring group strategy. It appears that if a member of the group is on a call when the initial call to the ring group is made, it will not ring that phone again, even if that phone becomes available again before the call the to the ring group is answered?

In my example we have calls setup to route to 2 phones in another part of our office, so I created a ring all, ring group containing both phones (as we had on our previous IP PBX).

I've noticed that if one phone is busy, the other (non busy) phone will ring, but the busy phone does not get a call waiting beep or incoming call indication (despite having use phone status enabled and being able to handle multiple calls). If I then hang up the call from the busy phone to make it available, it will not begin ringing, despite being free again? The other phone, however will continue to ring until the timeout has expired?

Our previous IP PBX used to continually poll all extensions in a ring all ring group, even if it detected one of them was busy on the initial call. I would like similar behaviour but the only way I can see to achieve the same thing is to configure overflow behaviour for the ring group to ring another ring group that contains the same 2 phones once a low time value has expired. Either that or I have to configure a queue which is overkill to achieve what I require for 2 phones?

Is there a reason the ring all behaviour is configured in this way? Can it be changed? Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jim@itstod.se

jim@itstod.se New Member

Configure a queue with "Ring all" strategy. Queues are being polled for available agents but ring groups are not.

Regards,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pjr

pjr New Member

Thats fine for our internal use but we also wish to use a ring group with ring all for our support team for calls from clients, and our Boss detests auto answer scripts. As I understand it if you direct an outbound line to an incoming queue the caller is greeted with a message (even if all agents are available) rather than a ringing tone (which they get when using a ring group).

4. jim@itstod.se

jim@itstod.se New Member

You don't have to have a greeting message but the call will be answered by 3CX and you must specify what sound will be played.

I agree that it would be good to be able to choose "Play ring tone" instead of just having one option (play sound file) as it is now.

Maybe something to write a feature request about?

5. pjr

pjr New Member

Hi Jim,

I have since found out that there is a way to achieve what I originally asked for.

Changing advanced parameter

ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP to "1"

means the phone status is used to detect busy instead of the PBX status (default) which is what was causing my issue.

Just thought you might find it useful.

Thanks

Paul

6. wzaatar

You beat me to it, Paul. :)

Jim, that's exactly what you need to do to fix this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.