• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Group to call unregistered Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanherbert

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen some references to this not being possible, but all very old, so I wanted to check if the situation has changed / there is a work around:

I have a need to create a ring group which calls 3 extensions in turn. These extensions are all 'dummy' extensions which have no phone associated with them and therefore always remain 'unregistered', however their forwarding rules define that all calls should be routed to the mobile number configured on the extension.

When calling one of these extensions directly the call goes straight to the mobile as expected. However, when calling the ring group none of the mobiles are called:

Code:
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.510   Leg L:693.1[Extn] is terminated: Cause: BYE from PBX
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.500   [CM503020]: Call(C:693): Normal call termination. Call originator: Extn:103. Reason: Disabled by Forwarding Rule
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.500   L:693.1[Extn] forwards call from HuntGrp:804 to EndCall:EndCall based on rule
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.500   L:693.1[Extn] failed to reach HuntGrp:804, reason Temporarily Unavailable
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   [CM503026]: Call(C:693): Route 3 to HuntGrp804[Ext.313Ext.313] is not active (Busy/Not registered)
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   L:693.1[Extn] target's endpoint Extn:313 is Not Available/Not Registered
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   [CM503026]: Call(C:693): Route 2 to HuntGrp804[Ext.312Ext.312] is not active (Busy/Not registered)
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   L:693.1[Extn] target's endpoint Extn:312 is Not Available/Not Registered
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   [CM503026]: Call(C:693): Route 1 to HuntGrp804[Ext.311Ext.311] is not active (Busy/Not registered)
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.499   L:693.1[Extn] target's endpoint Extn:311 is Not Available/Not Registered
11-Jun-2013 11:16:33.498   [CM503001]: Call(C:693): Incoming call from Extn:103 to "804" <sip:[email protected]:5060>

Is there any way around this - I'm trying to setup a couple of out of hours hunt groups which try a number of mobiles.

Many thanks, Stan.

Looking at this from a call control perspective.. it would be "tricky" indeed.

Doubtful at best.. unless you try a Prioritized/Random Hunt strategy.. I can't really see a Ring All strategy working.
Based on ring group logic, I also wouldn't see the "Unregistered" extension rule triggering even with a Hunt.. because the general idea is that if the first extension is "busy" (or unregistered..) it moves on to the next group member.
Thus, the rule to forward the call to cell with never be triggered.

There is an option to ignore phone status in the custom parameters.. I set to force receptionist phones to ring multiple times as an example.. it might help. I doubt it, though.

I do not think it possible using a ring group as the ring group is not using the user status, but rather the phone status. This then avoids the issue that if a user who is a member of a ring group has changed their status to away and the associated rule for away is set to send to Vmail, that all subsequent ring group calls then get sent to that person's Vmail rather than progressing down the member list if a prioritized status is used or getting answered immediately by Vmail if ring all.

However, if all are unregistered, the system still directs to the last call handling aspect of the rule for the ring group which could be directed to a external number (cell), but of course only one cell.

You might try playing the scenario with a queue instead.

Try to select ring my mobile simutaneously as opposed to forward to outside line. that will register the extension and call the mobile everytime including when those dummy exensions are in a ring group as they will now be registered. If you will have them in a prioritized hunt or round robin id shorten the amount of rings as to avoid the mobile phone from going to VM that would stil be a problem in cases of the cell going directly to vn. pleas post a response about what the results are. good luck.

JPillow -

Excellent idea. I had not thought of your approach. Hope the results are favorable as it will be a good one to use going forward.
One issue that might arise is if the outbound calls are being handled via a gateway rather than via SIP. If a gateway, then once passed to the cell phone carrier, the call may be considered as being answered. Will be interesting.

Yes, please post results.

Unfortunately (for you, and others), a ring group tends to ignore extension forwarding rules as the chances of actually reaching someone are much less than ringing their set directly, since they are not (usually) the only set being rung. The other problem is that customers use various types of trunking to reach outside (mobiles) numbers. If they use a PSTN trunk, then in most cases the call is considered answered as soon as it is passed to the gateway. VoIP trunking (and some ISDN)will, (in most cases), pass answer supervision, but everyone can't be expected to be using that method.

Thank you everyone for your replies - jpillow you are a genius!

I've just configured this as suggested and it works great. For reference my setup is as follows:

Out of hours calls are routed to a digital receptionist.
If the caller selects to contact on-call engineer the DR connects to a ring group.
The caller hears on hold music while the three extensions included in the ring group are called in turn until someone answers.
As suggested by jpillow each of these extensions is set to "Ring my mobile simultaneously" in the call forwarding rules.

My out bound calls all go out via a SIP trunk - as pointed out by lneblett I don't know if 3CX would be able to bring back unanswered calls properly for other outbound call types (eg. PSTN, ISDN).

The only thing it can't do which I was hoping to use is the re-bound feature which would hopefully have stopped calls being answered by voicemail services on my colleagues mobiles if they are switched off. But we'll just have to live with that eventuality!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julian1234
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.