• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Group Voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurestech1

Reaction score
I have two Yealink SIP-T38G phones in two separate locations, one using SIP Proxy Manager. Both belong to the same user. The user wants both phones to access the same voicemail box. The user doesn't want the voicemail to be attached as a letter and sent to email. Is this possible to set up?

futurestech1 said:
I have two Yealink SIP-T38G phones in two separate locations, one using SIP Proxy Manager. Both belong to the same user. The user wants both phones to access the same voicemail box. The user doesn't want the voicemail to be attached as a letter and sent to email. Is this possible to set up?

I think you posted this in the wrong forum. You wanted the Phone System not the softphone for Windows.

But I will answer your question here and maybe someone will move it.

The short answer is yes. But your post is not clear. So I will give you some options and at least one will apply to you.

On your 3cx you can have many devices as one extension. So both your Yealinks can be (for example) x101 and therefore both get access to the same voicemail as they are the same extension. The downside to this is that both phones will ring when x101 rings and not sure if this is what you meant.

The other way is to have two extensions (say) x100 and x101. Then let both people know the voicemail pin for x100 (if that is the one that the voicemails go to). Then x100 dials voicemail as normal and gets the voicemails. x101 can dial his/her voicemail but at the prompt that says "please enter your pin and press #" just press #. It will then ask for the extension, enter 100 and then it asks for the pin for x100 followed by the #. And he is in that voicemail.

The downside to this is that x101 has access to ALL voicemails on x100 and you might not want this.

So the 3rd way is to set up a dummy extension (say) x102. No handset ever registers to this and no one uses it. Then you have a rule (or rules) in 3cx that sends those voicemails to the voicemail of x102. Then everything works as in the 2nd scenario above and you only get the voicemails for that extension.

To stop the emails, it is on a per extension basis and you turn them off on that extension's General tab.

One of the "tricks" though, is to get message waiting indication (depending on the sets MWI capabilities), if you don't wish to make use of email notification.
I'm still of the opinion that a common mailbox, for a ring group, with notification to all sets, in the group, would be a better option.

When you create a dummy extension does it need to be registered like a normal phone extension. If so, is it similar to create like a normal extension?

* My mistake you don't need to register dummy extensions.

Create an extension, but option it assuming that a set will never be registered.

futurestech1 said:
When you create a dummy extension does it need to be registered like a normal phone extension. If so, is it similar to create like a normal extension?

* My mistake you don't need to register dummy extensions.
As Leejor said you never register it. I call them dummy extensions, some people call the phantom extensions. They are useful for this and also for some routing in the system at times.

Dont forget you can also use the email notification on the extension to send the email without the voicemail as an attachment. That way they know there is a voicemail but it is not sent in the email, so no one can "listen" to it and it doesnt take up any mailbox storage quotas.

All right the first option that was suggested was a good option. But how would you go about accomplishing the first option if one of the phones in the group is a remote extension? Would you need to re-set up the SIP Proxy Manager with this option? Also how do you go about adding a second phone to one extension?

Also of note the remote extension is DHCP.

futurestech1 said:
All right the first option that was suggested was a good option. But how would you go about accomplishing the first option if one of the phones in the group is a remote extension? Would you need to re-set up the SIP Proxy Manager with this option? Also how do you go about adding a second phone to one extension?

Also of note the remote extension is DHCP.

You cannot provision two handsets for one extension. so I would provision the one that is used the most using 3cx and the other you will have to do manually.

You dont need to do anything to the proxy - it just passes the information to 3cx and 3cx can handle more than one device per extension no matter where they are.

So you can use the proxy in the remote location - connect your yealink to it, manually configure the account with the information for that extension. And you are pretty much done. You can still make a call from each at the same time. When a call comes in they both ring. And voicemail etc is per extension.

DHCP means nothing. It just means that each time the phone registers it may pass a new ip address. You do not fix ips in 3cx.

markshehan said:
...On your 3cx you can have many devices as one extension. So both your Yealinks can be (for example) x101 and therefore both get access to the same voicemail as they are the same extension. The downside to this is that both phones will ring when x101 rings and not sure if this is what you meant...

So I can't have two handsets on one extension? I also do not care if both phones ring at the same time because this is what I need.

How would you implement this solution?
And do you know how to set the other phone manually?

futurestech1 said:
markshehan said:
...On your 3cx you can have many devices as one extension. So both your Yealinks can be (for example) x101 and therefore both get access to the same voicemail as they are the same extension. The downside to this is that both phones will ring when x101 rings and not sure if this is what you meant...

So I can't have two handsets on one extension? I also do not care if both phones ring at the same time because this is what I need.

How would you implement this solution?
And do you know how to set the other phone manually?

You can have 10 handsets as one extension if you want.

3cx does not care. All it cares about it routing rules. And as it allows multiple registrations, when a call is routed to an extension 3cx looks up all the bindings (current registrations) for that extension and sends an invite to them. Which ever handset is picked up that one connects the audio, the rest then get a cancel message from 3cx.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/ go there for the info on how to set up the remote extensions, using the proxy.

How you would connect another handset to the extension if it is on the same network?

Either use the provisioning in 3cx (recommended) or go in manually through the phones interface and set it up.

Very straightforward.

What I'm doing right now is testing multiple phones registering to one extension with 2 Yealink Sip-T26 before I try this with T38 phones on the same LAN. I matched the necessary fields. But now I want to know if the remote phone needs the same information from the main phone and if the SIP proxy manager needs to be reconfigured.

Any duplicate extension, will have to be set-up manually, and does not have to be a "clone" of any other set with the same extension number, in fact it can be added as an additional key on an existing set. If you are currently using the SIP Proxy manager, then there should be no changes needed.

To put this in real basic terms.....

Any phone can register as an extension. The phone has settings for this. It needs the ip of the pbx, the port to register on, the id and password to use (and some nice to haves such as a display name for the phone but not needed for the registration).

All 3cx wants from the phone is to make sure the id and password authenticate and then it wants to know the ip and port of the phone to send the invites (this is all sent in the registration message from the phone).

To 3cx an ip is an ip, internal or external - it neither knows or cares.

So you can have 20 phones of different models as Leejor says, no need to clone, and as long as you point them to 3cx pbx and give the same user name and password for the extension they will all register. And will all ring when a call is for the extension.

So dont get confused between registering multiple handsets and the proxy/remote ip etc. 3cx does not care.

Now the problem comes with registering a remote extension to 3cx in some cases, regardless of how many are registering. So you can go direct or via the 3cx proxy, which you are doing. And the proxy wont care either. It is just forwarding information not really inspecting it.

Now to save time, most phones have a provisioning file which will fill in the same details for you, save you going into each phone. And 3cx creates a file for each phone you ask it to based on a template and it then fills in the information for the extension.

But you can only do this for 1 handset for an extension. It is a limitation in the GUI on 3cx, not for any other reason.

So you can provisions phones manually, or using the 3cx provisioning.

But keep the two things separate in your mind. Registering is one thing. Provisioning is another. Multiple phones can register. Just configure each phone. Provisioning is easy but is limited to one phone per extension (And also one extension per phone).

There are ways around this, but I wont complicate it for you here. Needless to say you can create your own provisioning files if you know what you are doing. But just do it manually on each phone and it will work. I guarantee it.

I have 2 handsets, 3 softphones all registered as my desk extension. And all work with no problem. In fact it is a big selling point to people as it gives them so many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.