Ring Group with both Internal/External Number

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by inixnetwork, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inixnetwork

Hello,

I have the latest free version of 3CX Phone system (9.x) and I try to find a way to create a Ring Group that allow to ring both on a internal extension and external number (blackberry). Seems like there is no way to do this at the first look.

Anyone know how-to do this ?

Thank you

2. yadac123

I don't use ring groups but have you try to create 2 groups?

John Ma

3. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I am not sure that you can do that. You can however set the group to dial an external number after the timeout... You can also get a mobile device from this century that allows you to run a SIP client on it and you can register that to the same extension. (Droid, IPhone/Isip etc).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. inixnetwork

The external number device is a blackberry. Seems like there is no SIP client for this device and seems like there is no way to forward a call to an external number in ring group. We can do this with Asterisk, it work like a charm. Now I have to find a way to do this, if not, I'll need to reinstall/fallback to Asterisk.

The big picture is simple, a call is placed to one of my DID and the call is forwarded to my 3 internal devices (extensions) at the office and at the same time on my smart phone. That way, if I'm not at the office, I can answer on my blackberry. I don't want to use the "timeout" feature as I need to answer quickly.

Maybe the only one solution would be to buy a new DID and forward all calls to my blackberry and add this DID in a ring group. Not sure if I can do this anyway. Will try to find if it's possible.

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Please DO NOT QUOTE ON THIS. One of our clients told me that he installed a Balckberry SIP client BlackVob or something like that and he CLAIMS it works well. It is on our list of tests for the lab so I cannot and will not endorse this. You can try as well. Please let us know. We are currently waiting for a Balckberry to arrive from Verizon to try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TotallyVoIP

I have set up a ringing group with several extensions, one of these is set to using "forwarding rules" to forward to a mobile.

This rings the internal extensions and the mobile all at the same time (the mobile has a 2-3 second delay due to routing).

Bear in mind the mobile MUST route via a SIP trunk not a PSTN adaptor, as otherwise 3CX will think that the call has been made to the mobile when it starts to ring and the other extensions will stop (well that's the theory, not tested it but the way adaptors work this is common sense).

It does not need a SIP client on the mobile, although if it did then it would be just another extension.

If you want the users extension and their mobile to ring, then you may need to set up a dummy extension with their mobile number and then set the forwarding rules to permanently forward to the mobile, and have both extensions in the ringing group.

We use these features, so if you need more detailed advice, just shout.

7. inixnetwork

Thank you for your advice, I will try your method. Really appreciated!

8. dotnetfabrik

Hi Richard,
    can you explain how you set up this configuration?
    In my case, a mobile phone should ring together with the internal extensions.
    I have a signal group in which are two extensions: one is only internal and the other one forwards to a mobile.
    But when the mobile begins to ring, the internal phones stop ringing. :-((
    Maybe you have a clue where to find the problem?
    Thanksalot!

9. abc123

abc123 Active Member

You mentioned this in another post.

I think you have some settings incorrect.

Can you give us your forwarding rules settings and the ring group settings so we can test your setup?

PS. Just read Charles' post about using a 21st century phone and not a blackberry. Spat my coffee over the keyboard :) I had a Blackberry storm when they first came out. lasted 3 days and is now a paperweight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.