• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Group_ VoicemailS

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnkey

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible for a Ring Group to have a voicemail?

My example, is the Sales Line, if no-one answers, because they are in a call or at lunch, can it go to Voicemail?

I only see the option of sending it to one particular extension, is it possible to send it to a Group voicemail account, so that anyone within that group can pick the voicemail up?

No, there is no concept of group voicemails. You could kind of sort of pull this off on some phones if you have another line on the phone registered to the voicemail extension. The problem is then figuring out if the voicemail is for you or for the group extension. This isn't a shortcoming in 3CX as much as it is a general problem with PBX's in general in figuring out how to have a phone tell you there is a message on multiple extensions. The best way at time is to have the extension for the group send an email notification to an email distribution list. The downside is that everyone will get the notification and cant tell if someone has already checked the messages or not.

In our case, if nobody in the group answers the call, it redirects to a specific 'nobody here' VM box. That VM box then sends an email to a group account, which goes cc: to all the members. We all get the VM message, and its just internal controls that keep multiple people from calling back the client. Works fine in a small operation.

I brought this up in the feature request forum a while back, it would be nice if a voicemail to the "common" mailbox would activate the voicemail indicator of all sets in the ring group so that the first person in, or back from lunch, would get the message.

leejor said:
I brought this up in the feature request forum a while back, it would be nice if a voicemail to the "common" mailbox would activate the voicemail indicator of all sets in the ring group so that the first person in, or back from lunch, would get the message.

I agree, thats exactly what we require!

I just dont think that is really possible within the confines of the SIP protocol.

KerryG said:
I just dont think that is really possible within the confines of the SIP protocol.

I'm pretty sure it is, Gradwell (UK) have this feature as part of their Multi-User Centrex platform (http://gradwell.com/phoneservices/multiuser)

A phone has to subscribe to a mailbox in order to know if there is a voicemail or not. Unless you phone is registered to multiple extensions I dont see how you could get multiple MWI indicators. Even if you could, you wouldn't know if the MWI was for your extension or for the group extension.

KerryG said:
A phone has to subscribe to a mailbox in order to know if there is a voicemail or not. Unless you phone is registered to multiple extensions I dont see how you could get multiple MWI indicators. Even if you could, you wouldn't know if the MWI was for your extension or for the group extension.

I'm not too worried about whether the voicemail is for me or the group, as it will be a hot-desk/shifts anyway (3 Groups of 5 people, sharing the same desk/phone/pc - so personal VM wouldn't be required anyhow.

I use General Delivery Mailboxes for several clients. As stated you have to subscribe an additional line to the Group Extension. I use Aastra phones and they will tell you which mailbox has unread messages, either your personal or the group.

comresource said:
I use General Delivery Mailboxes for several clients. As stated you have to subscribe an additional line to the Group Extension. I use Aastra phones and they will tell you which mailbox has unread messages, either your personal or the group.

That sounds like a good solution. How do you create a group extension though?

Could you explain it a little further?

Many thanks!

Mike

On 3CX it would require a "Group Mailbox" option to send the calls to after ringing time-out to a ring group (or any extension). The "Group mailbox" would allow you to create a list of extensions and those would all get the message waiting indicator. At least, that's how I envision it.

Okay I can see how that would work. So would that effectively let everyone access the voicemail?

Have you tried this?

I would if the option existed.

Again the issue is how can a phone subscribe to multiple MWI's without eating up registrations? I don't think it can.

I get that, but its very phone specific. If you don't happen to like snom phones than this is not a valid option. That's the issue I have. There is nothing within the SIP protocol to support multiple mailbox subscriptions from a single extension. What about when someone wants to subscribe to more boxes than a phone has registrations? That's why I highly recommend not trying to shoehorn features together like this. Its non-standard and not scalable.

mattlandis said:
With snom 3xx phones this works slick: you register the phone with your own extension AND the group voicemail extension. Use the snom up/down key to select the voicemail you want to get. (MWI lites up for either--i'm pretty sure)

matt

This is correct. As I stated I use Aastra and register line 5 and up (if multiple General Delivery Mailboxes on a phone). It works great, customers love it. They do not care about SIP protocol specifications or scalability. They just want it to work. Its our job as consultants to make it happen with the tools at hand.

They just want it to work. Its our job as consultants to make it happen with the tools at hand.

I probably agree with that statement about 70-80%. It is certainly your job to make you clients happy, but sometimes its better to provide alternative solutions that can often be better than what they want initially. Take BLF/SLA functionality, if you can get a customer to really use 3CX Assistant, they will usually find it is better than what they wanted originally.

KerryG said:
They just want it to work. Its our job as consultants to make it happen with the tools at hand.

I probably agree with that statement about 70-80%. It is certainly your job to make you clients happy, but sometimes its better to provide alternative solutions that can often be better than what they want initially. Take BLF/SLA functionality, if you can get a customer to really use 3CX Assistant, they will usually find it is better than what they wanted originally.

I completly agree.

However, it still does not solve the problem of a Group Voicemail account. - I guess old-fashioned stand-alone answermachines are still a requirement!! haha

If you are using Outlook and Exchange you could have the email notification sent to a specific email address, then each person could have that as a second account within Outlook. Once somebody deletes it, it deletes from everyone else's mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.