• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Groups and Voicemail handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

giwm

Forum User
Reaction score
First off... working on transitioning from a Panasonic PBX to 3CX.

Our current setup has a ring group with a voicemail tied to it. Obviously this is not a thing yet in 3CX (though I do see it is definitely on the radar). I need to replicate that same option, as we all need to get voicemails if there is a missed call.

In a previous life, our Cisco system allowed us to easily put multiple extensions on a single phone. So for instance, I could program my line and the help desk line both on the same phone and my whole team could do the same.

So how are people replicating this? The only way I can think of is to create both an extension and a ring group and have missed calls directed to the extension's voicemail. Or - and probably more cumbersome - add two extensions per phone somehow.

You could have two lines on your phone with two different extensions: that would be one way to do it. What I would do instead, is have the ring group as normal, and if there is no answer it forwards to an extension not tied to a phone, just for the purpose of collecting voicemails. Have the voicemail settings for that extension send an email to a distribution group with the voicemail attached, and that distribution group would contain everybody on the team (maybe a Google group or something). Then you'd all get the voicemail. Or if you need to know that only one person responded or something, then perhaps have it go to a shared email mailbox that you all have access to, and the person who takes care of it can mark it read or delete it or whatever.

I actually just setup exactly this way. It's all I could come up with also to do as desired currently and it works like a charm.
1. Build extension
2. Build ring group and setup DID to ring to it > forward to step 1 mailbox that emails distribution group

Key one of all sets, unique extension number and part of the ring group. Key 2, extension (as an example) 301, on all sets. Set-up 301 to not ring on the sets, but indicate if there is a voicemail. All unanswered ring group calls go off to ring 301 which is set to ring for the minimum time, a second or so. Any voice-mails left should activate the VM indicator on all sets and can be accessed with key 2.

group VM would be a great way to fix this... ;)

I put in that feature suggestion several "3CX Ideas" incarnations ago.

I put in that feature suggestion several "3CX Ideas" incarnations ago.

I know - and every iteration of the ideas forum gets some form of this same request.

Can you make a group email instead? Example [email protected] would be an alias which is accessible by numerous people.
When a voicemail arrives to an extension set to this email, the voicemail is sent to this email and the group email does the job because multiple users see this voicemail.

Key one of all sets, unique extension number and part of the ring group. Key 2, extension (as an example) 301, on all sets. Set-up 301 to not ring on the sets, but indicate if there is a voicemail. All unanswered ring group calls go off to ring 301 which is set to ring for the minimum time, a second or so. Any voice-mails left should activate the VM indicator on all sets and can be accessed with key 2.

Can you elaborate more on this work-around- or is this just a wish??

We are trying to create a single group voicemail box for all extensions for our Yealink W56P / W56 Devices. The gola is to get a missed call voicemail indicator on all sets.

1. I created a new extension (50) which is simply for voicemail, which is enabled and simply goes to VM. The forward rules Forward to Voice Mail.
2. On each individual extension I disabled the checkbox for "Enable Voice Mail".
3. On Each Individual Extension I changed the forwarding rules for External / Internal Calls to Forward to a new Extensions Voice Mail (50)
4. Created a Ring Group with 2 Yealink Extensions AND the VoiceMail (50) extension as Group Members.
5. On the RingGroup I setup "Destination if no answer" to "Voicemail box for Extension (50)

Problems:
1. Missed Calls.
If a call goes unanswerd to the RingGroup, the status screen and indicator does show on each extension that there was a missed call. The problem still is if someone resets all Missed calls on Extension 1, it doesnt replciate to Extension 2. So no way in knowing if missed calls have been answered.

2. VoiceMail
Even though the callers get redirected to the VoiceMail box (50), there is still no indicator on the handsets that there is a voicemail. On the handsets if I click the voicemail button, it only shows voicemail box assocaited with that extension- and not 50. Yet if I click that voicemail extension of the default handset, it redirects to voicemail (50) which prompts for a password and verbally tells me I have voicemail.

Still perplexing that I cant get a shared voicemail box to indicate and work across all handsets- either from within 3cX or the Yealink software. And email notifications is not an option for this environment.

Last edited:
Yes you will not get it working as you want like this.

Basically we need a feature called Shared Voicemail. Where multiple extensions can be notified when there is a new voicemail. We are discussing this internally. Do not waste time trying to get it working because you will not manage.

The closest you can come is to create a group email alias set the alias to the extensions you want to notify.
the voicemail will be sent to the group email address and they can get notified that there is a voicemail.

Reactions: SonnyPeas
Basically we need a feature called Shared Voicemail. Where multiple extensions can be notified when there is a new voicemail.

Exactly, but it's where multiple, different extension numbers (a mailbox group) get the notification. Multiple sets, with the same extension number will get notification currently. The issue might be (on multi line sets)... will it work on multiple keys on one set. in other word, will MWI work on the prime number and on a second extension key as well. If it doesn't, and it may be a set make/model limitation, then my suggested work-around, won't either.

Last edited:
I am close to getting this work with the Yealink W52P / H handsets. I had to provision another "phone" that really is just a voicemail account. So now all handsets have a 2nd account linked. I deactivated voicemail for the each other extension - except this second account. Now when I tap the voicemail button on the phones I see that extension and it gives me the option to choose. I choose that voicemail box, and the phone reprovisions itself to use that box- and I can see the number of voicemails.

The stange pblem now is that after ~5 minutes, the message indicator resets to 0, and shows no voicemail. Yet if I go back in to Set Voice mail again- and choose the secondary account- the message indicator shows correctly.....for 5 minutes then resets.

So I have something causing the message indicator to default back to the local extension, and not stay saved on the new account.

Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samuel_1997
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.