Ring Groups - Button to forward to another ring group

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boldtech, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boldtech

We are setting up a new 3cx system for a client with 2 office locations. Each location has a receptionist ring group with several extensions as members.

Most of the time inbound calls are routed to the main office receptionist group and answered by them, but they need the ability to forward all incoming calls to the second receptionist group if the main office admins are in a meeting, etc. On the old analog system they had a programmed button they could turn this forwarding on/off when needed.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? This was a much-used feature on their old Samsung system and we need to replicate it on 3CX, but I'm having trouble coming up with a good solution.

2. Dave-ee

Hoi!

You can setup forwarding rules for each status of the receptionist, I believe.

For example, if the receptionist tags their phone as "Away", it could forward their calls to their mobile. If their phone is tagged as "Do Not Disturb", it could forward their calls to the other receptionists (or the other office's receptionists).

The easiest way to do this is via the Web Client. If the Web Client is under the same extension as your deskphone, any changes you make in the Web Client (that affect incoming/outgoing calls) will also affect your deskphone because it is a part of the same extension. Just go to the "Settings" tab in the sidebar menu in your Web Client.

You could probably also change it in the Admin portal of 3CX, just go to that extension and have a look in the Settings area.

Hope it helps!

3. boldtech

That's wouldn't do it as the inbound calls go to a ring group with multiple extensions set to ring all. All receptionists in one office would have to set status, and I'm not sure it would even work then.

I need some way to program a BLF/button on all receptionist phones in one office that when activated, it would set the forwarding to the other office ring group.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What if incoming calls went to an extension first. Using the forwarding /DND options on that extension you could send the calls off to either ring group.

5. Dave-ee

Well, no, it should still work because the individual extension is set to forward the call - whether it's part of the ring group or not. You've got an idea that everyone has to have DND activated - but in reality it works exactly the same as the button you're thinking of (e.g. would everyone have to press that button for it to work?).
    EDIT: Never mind - I think I understand what you're saying there - the other phones would still be ringing.

Alternatively, you could make it so that after 15 seconds or so of ringing it automatically diverts to the other office's reception.

That's a good option as well.

6. boldtech

Bingo! I think that should work. Have all calls route to a dummy (or physical) extension with a forward timeout of one second. Set all status forwards to forward the call to the main ring group as normal. If status is DND then forward to the other ring group!

Just tested here and it seemed to work as expected. The slight call delay in ringing the group was not noticeable at all. I think this may work, thanks for the idea. =)

7. boldtech

The only bad thing about this method is I have to setup a dummy extension, which means the only way to set the extension status is via the web browser logged in as that extension, or via the admin console. Both are a lot more steps to just set the status with a button on the phone.

You can't really set this on a regular receptionist extension as the forwarding rules would not let the phone participate in the ring group for the receptionist as once it was forwarded to the ring group and that phone rang we are looking at a endless loop, correct?

Man, there has got to be an easier way to handle this, this was a common feature on the analog systems I've dealt with in the past.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What about using a Queue instead? It would still require the receptionist a the first location, letting the ones at the second location know that they have to log in and start taking calls. Which should probably be done anyway, rather than assuming they are available.

9. boldtech

The trouble with the queue is that just adds a higher level of complexity for the receptionists.

The dummy extension status example above would work perfect , if there was a way to update the status of a remote extension via a programmable button or dial code.

For example, setup dummy extension x250. Say the receptionist extension is x200. x250 is set to forward all calls immediately to Ring Group 1, or to ring group 2 when DND is set. We just need an easy way to set the status of dummy extension x250 from a button on x200. Is that an option?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What type of set are you using to do the DND? Options/features may vary by set. Someone may have an unconventional solution for provisioning the DND button. I would think that, ideally, you push a button, "something" lights up to show the feature is in use. You push again to turn off. The set is kept in a drawer, or on a shelf under a desk.

#10 leejor, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. boldtech

We are running Yealink T54S handsets at this client. My thought is using the DND button/status to forward to the other ring group as it has a good indicator when its on/off, but any way to program a button to make this work would be acceptable. Hell, even two buttons with an on and off.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

13. boldtech

The Yealink DND work perfectly with status on 3cx. The problem is we need to set the DND of a different extension than the extension the button is located. In other words, we need to be able to set the status of a remote extension via a programmable button. =)

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't normally deal with DND buttons, let alone Yealink sets..but....wondering, if the set were duplicated, at a second location, would the DND button "light up" on both when activated from either set?

15. boldtech

I think we are getting away from the main issue. =)

From what I can tell from research, there is really no way to set a remote extension via a dial code or other methods, short of logging on to the admin portal or the user web portal and changing it that way. I'll just have to train them to set the DND on the dummy extension to redirect as needed. Clunky but it will work in combination with the steps above.

16. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can give the right to one of the receptionists to be able to change the status of the dummy extension through the webclient. That is the easiest way i know of doing this. The receptionist does not need to be logged in as the dummy extension. Only the receptionist right is needed under extension settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.