Ring Groups in V11

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by paul.hadley, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

I have been testing a customers configuration on V11, the original was done in V9 and then updated to V10.

In the setup a few ring groups have been set up to provide a number users can dial to call a number of extensions, these are four digit numbers. However in V11 you are prevented from using more digits than a standard extension, in this case three.

If I try to change the extensions in the ring group now I am forced to either change the ring group number to a three digit number or abandon the changes. So long as I don't adjust the group the four digit numbers still work fine.

I can see why the change has been introduced, for me its a real pain in arse. Does anyone know work round I might use, editing the ring group outside the standard 3CX interface in a settings file or the registry may be.

2. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Do you mean that v9 and v10 allowed you to specify 4 digits number for ring group in case if "internal dial plan" is three digits?
    Please confirm

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

As far as I know there was no restriction on the number you could use for the Virtual Extension Number of a Ring Group. I don't have a V10 running here or access to one at the moment to check but you could certainly use four digits in system were the extensions were limit to three.

I used this to set up personal ring groups for a user that might be in more than one place occasionally

So as follows

Main Office - 200
    Second Office - 201
    Voip Mobile - 202

Than I would set up a ring group 2000 to call all three phones. Any user could dial 2000 to ring the three phones and it was easy to remember, the users main number plus an extra zero, quite useful.

Now in V11 you get a message saying extensions must be three digits only. I know I could allocate a three digit number to the ring group but it lacks the elegance and intuitive nature of just putting on the extra zero to call all the phones. And as it worked fine in previous versions I cant see why the change was made. may be a warning might be useful if exceed the extension digit limit but a complete is a pain.

4. mixig

mixig Active Member

I have just tested on v10 SP5 and v11, on v10 with "Extension number length" 3 in custom parameters I can add 4-digit ring group with 3digit extensions in ring group, in v11

5. efounco

efounco New Member

TY, that is correct. Version 10 allowed the setup of ring groups on any extension. Our dial plan was set to 3 but we used 50, 55 and 60 to mimic paging features of our old PBX.

Is there a specific reason why dial plans are locked down in 3CX? Wouldn't it be much more flexible to remove this unnecessary/unwanted restriction from 3CX?

Admins would love to have the ability to separate system extensions from user extensions. It would also open up the ability to use multiple extensions per phone without having to manually configure each and every phone or .xml file.

6. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

If it stays the way its is in the final release of V11 I have to admit it will give me a big headache with the set ups I have done and I guess quite a few other people as well. I just can not see what the restriction achieves.

7. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi,

That was a bug on v.10. If you have a configuration like this, you have to fix your settings in order to meet the extension number length of your PBX. The extension number length is a global parameter and is valid all over PBX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

But it was a bug that was causing no problems and in fact it appears is quite useful to some of us. Why can it not stay the way it is in V10. I didn't see anyone complain it caused an issue in V10 and therefore can see it would in V11.

9. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

May be an option in custom parameters to override the restriction would be useful, so that in standard format the PBX forces a 3 digit code but those of us who need the extra provision we can have it at our own risk.

10. efounco

efounco New Member

A "custom parameters" option to overwrite the strict dial plan rules would be good. I recommend that 3CX consider this option for future revisions...

In our company, we use 2 separate extensions per phone. Our primary extensions (3 digits in length) are defined by the 3CX system variable (%%extension_auth_id%%). Our Secondary extensions must be hard coded into the provisioning template for lack of a secondary system variable. Thus, we have to create a separate provisioning template for each and every phone that's deployed in the company. It's a total clusterfooken for management!. If we had the ability to use either 3 or 4 digit extensions, a single (like) provisioning template could be used for each and every phone with multiple extensions. For example, a 4 line phone could be configured as such:

%%extension_number%% = 555 <-- Line 1
    2%%extension_number%% = 2555 <-- Line 2
    3%%extension_number%% = 3555 <-- Line 3
    4%%extension_number%% = 4555 <-- Line 4

Simply create an extension for each and use the same username and password...

11. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

It seems like I am not the only one who finds this a bit restrictive. Looked at a couple other PBX solutions and in these is no restriction. Seems odd 3CX needs this, even more so when V10 did not have the restriction but work fine.

The set ups I did were in V9.0 then updated to V10 but I can not remember if the the four digit ring groups were added in V9.0 or V10. Is it just V10 that allows you to do this or can it be done it V9.0 as well.

12. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Well found my self a temporary solution, when I want to edit a ring group I have set up with four digits I just change the entry in custom parameters for "extension number length" to 4. This allows me to make the change I needed and then back to custom parameters to switch it back to 3. There is no need for a reboot to achieve this.

Not a perfect solution but at least it has allowed me to continue with testing V11 without having rewrite the whole configuration. I was beginning to worry I might have to revert back to V10.

I do hope V11 in its production release will remove this restriction.

13. efounco

efounco New Member

Just be careful messing with that setting. I was messing around with it once and decided to to leave it blank. I was hoping by leaving it blank that it might let me choose what I wanted. To my dismay, it totally locked me out of everything. I couldn't even change it back. My only solution was to recover from a backup I had made the night before...

14. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Thank you for that, I will be careful and change it straight back before a reboot.

I do hope V10 mode is put back into V11.

15. antler

Hi forum,

Apologies but as I am experiencing the same problem, earlier today I posted a topic ''Ring Group' > 3CX Designers please take note ' to address it and I have only just noticed this one so below is what I wrote and will delete my topic I created.

Hallo Forum and 3cx designers,

Why oh why do you redesign something that works and that to my knowledge, no has suggested a change nor are experiencing issues.

I refer to the fact that in V10 and within the 'Ring Group' function, the 'Virtual Machine Number' was an 'open' field i.e. I configured my name but in numbers which consisted of 5 digits that people could dial to call me and I would decide which extensions would actually ring. Likewise I have configured other 'Ring Groups' with up to 10 digits, absolutely perfect, no impact anywhere.

Then for what reason does the V11 now insist on a maximum of 3 digits simply because my extension range consists of 3 digits!! I now find that I am completely unable to modify my ring extensions without having to redefine the virtual number as 3 digits. I then have to advise everyone that has been able to call me via my 5 digit name / number that this function no longer exists and they all have to change their softkeys and if they are using their iPhone etc, they have to remember a single extension number but then that extension number is not one I can reach. Alternative would be to remember to divert one extension to another, why!

Talk about 1 step forward, 10 steps backwards!! and I for one am not happy.

Please, oh please, when the next SP is distributed, can this 'Virtual Machine Number' revert back to its original design of 'more than the extension digit range'.

Apart from this gripe and the one that no-one seems to have taken any notice of in the 'How to AutoProvision 3CX Softphone?' topic, this is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit!

Many thanks

Antler

I will now delete the topic I created :)

16. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

As you will see from my earlier post I found a temporary solution that will allow you to both modify and create ring groups in the format you are using, although as "efounco" says you need be careful when doing it, may be a back up first just in case.

As you say, I hope this is changed in the final release of V11.

17. pjr

pjr New Member

This would cause us huge headaches too - being able to use 4 and 5 digit numbers for ring groups/digital receptionists etc enhances the flexibility available and work for us in v10

removing that ability from v11 is a huge backward step IMO

Paul

18. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Well its looks like we have a definitive answer from the V11 beta news comments, it wont be possible to use 4 digit rings groups.

The rest of this post removed by me.

19. richardwilliams

Just looked at our PBX, all our ringgroups are 5 numbers long so will be problem for us to, best not complain or we might be told by 3CX to take our business somewhere else.

Will you take their advice Paul and find different PBX, looks like your not wanted any more. How long have you been a customer. I think if they told me that I would find an alternative on principle !!! :(

20. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Never throw the baby out with the bath water. Probably just someone having a bad day. The product is still very good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.