Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Ring Groups

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nateb, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nateb

When anyone is on the phone, and they are say apart of ring group 800. It just skips their ext. Before version 5, it would still ring their ext if they were on the phone, but now, my secretary has to run to a different phone to grab it if she is on one line.
    Here is the trace from 3cx. If you notice, it skips ext 101. Which is the phone on a line at the time.

CM503004]: Call(166): Calling: RingAll:800@[Dev:sip:100@172.16.1.40:5060;transport=udp;user=phone, Dev:sip:102@172.16.1.42:5060;transport=udp;user=phone, Dev:sip:103@172.16.1.35:5070, Dev:sip:103@172.16.1.43:5060;transport=udp;user=phone, Dev:sip:104@172.16.1.44:5060;transport=udp;user=phone, Dev:sip:105@172.16.1.45:5060;transport=udp;user=phone]

Anyone have any ideas?

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Give her a multilined phone and register another extension for her. One for normal calls, another for calls from ring group. Than let the phone to hanlde this situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nateb

There isn't a way to do this without adding another user?
    Version 3 use to work, is this a glitch in ver 5?

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

No, there isn't.
    Why don't you want to use another extension number? Does it contradicts your religion? :lol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nateb

Heh, yea, its against my religion.
    The only reason I was thinking , was becuase, then they have to press a line, when they aren't on the phone, because both lines are ringing at the same time.

6. nateb

And then, how do you control , which account is the default for dialing out. So , now, the BLF light next to the person, might be on the wrong extension, so you don't know if they are on the phone.

7. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Wow, and how do you suppose they will answer a call from a ring group if we will provide ringing from ring group on busy extension?

8. Philco

Philco Member

Archie, the problem with assigning another extension number on the same ring group on a multiline phone is that both lines will ring and the user has to select a line to answer the first call, you can not just pick up the hand set. Ok, when another call comes in the user can see the CLI and choose to put the first call on hold and answer the second.

Its the issue of having to answer the first call by selecting a line (pressing a button) that is odd.

If a multiline phone is placed directly on a VOIP providers sip account using just one account on the phone, if the phone already has a call, a second call will ring the phone.

In the case of a Grandstream GXP2000 the second call doesnt ring, but gives a beep and and a visual indication that a second call is waiting, so I am wondering what was the reason for removing the second call on a busy phone that can tell 3cx that it can accept a second call.

This is what happened in V3 and first version of V5 of 3cx.

One thing for sure is there are a number of us that are wishing it was still available.

Phil

9. Philco

Philco Member

Just as a further, it wouldnt be so bad if you could assign forward on busy to the other extension number on a multiline phone when the phone is busy on a ring group call, but a second ring group call still ignores this option too.

Phil

10. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Phil, I meant other schema. You should assign only one of your numbers to ring group. And use it only to receive calls from that ring group. For all other calls you should use another ext number.

11. Philco

Philco Member

Yes I think I understood that from your first post Archie, but the situation arises where the extension (the phone) is required to receive a second call to a ring group so that the user has the option to answer the second call (if no one else is in the office).

From an engineering point of view, why was the facility removed (or was it overlooked) as the option to use PBX or phone busy status was available in the ext setup.

Thanks

Phil

12. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

1) I do not remember exact reason why we had removed it. But there was a reason, and a good one.
    2) If you have main ext number, let's say 100, and another number (500, f.e) which nobody knows, and 500 is part of ring group. you can use your phone as usual, and your second line will ring when call is to RG even if your main ext is busy (you're talking using ext 100). You can answer it (automatically putting first call on hold), or cancel it, or ignore it, transfer it blindly if your phone allows it. Whatever you want. What is the probelm? I desperately do not understand.

13. Philco

Philco Member

Hi Archie, I think we all understand the two extension number soluion, and I think we are desperatly trying understand why the facilty of ringing a busy extension number on a multiline phone was removed, after all someone at 3cx thought it was agood idea as the facility was available.

Your solution I am sure has been adopted by some and alternatively placing the second extension number on the ring group, but the problem with it is that in some situations the user may wish to receive more than one call on the RG.

The problem is that the user needs to be able to answer a second incoming RG call. Having two extensions numbers on the ring group would work, but the user has to select a line when the first call comes in (instead of simply picking up he handset). Ok to answer the second call should they wish to, they have to select the second line. But it doesnt look good, 2 lines ringing on a phone whene there is only one call.

If you have one of the numbers unpublished on the RG that number still cantnot take more than one incoming RG call. The problem is not keeping the keeping the ring group number clear, but that it can take more than one call.

Please put the facility back in ASAP it really is wanted.

Phil

14. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Phil,

I use 3 accounts on my office phone. I simply pick up handset to answer call received from any acoounts (independently which is currently selected as active). To make call I need to select it.
    Even more I have a choice to answer call (and put current on hold) by pressing line button or simply drop current (hook on) and then pickup handset again to answer waiting one.

I really don't see any problems.
    I think you need to implement surrogate of queue basing on ringgroup, isn't it?

Thanks

15. Philco

Philco Member

As Nateb says, before version 5 the mulitine ring group worked.

Stepan, I can see we are going no where with this discussion, as I believe you and Archie are missing the point.

It is not a question of number of accounts or lines available, its a matter of allowing a multiline phone to receive multiple calls to a ring group or as I have found out if the extension number is busy, it is ignored by an incoming RG call, but the extension number can receive an internal call no problems while it on a ring group call. Why is one allowed and not the other?

So can you answer the question why was it removed? What disadvantage is there for it being available?

Stepan, we have not rolled out 3cx to customers yet (we have 5 waiting for installation, though the configurations are already set up) because we have been testing the system since December and some of the features that we were implementing had been removed in upgrades. One has been fixed in the latest edition of 3cx and that was the ‘PBX delivers audio’ which wasn’t working and now is, and one other feature we thought was an important feature was the ability for a multline phone to receive multiple calls to a ring group. After all a GXP2000 configured on one voip account can receive up to eleven simultaneous calls to that number (yes it is silly but true). Indeed in our office test setup we have 4 accounts on 4 GXP2000 but the first account and second accounts are on separate ring groups so that if all other users are on calls or only one person in the office and on a RG call, they can pickup the incoming RG call without going to another phone.

As I mentioned in my reply to Archie, if a second RG call comes in and a user (who maybe already on a RG call and may be the only user available to answer a call) and needs to answer that call then they can do.

Is there anyone else out there that misses this facility.

Phil

16. matthijsolislagers

matthijsolislagers New Member

I do miss this facility. Now our secretary has to run to another phone when a second line rings. This really isn't working. I do not understand why this feature is removed. With our old PBX this worked fine. To me it seems like a basic functionality that every PBX should offer.

Matthijs

17. Philco

Philco Member

Thanks matthijsolislagers, thats exactly the scenario we want to avoid..

Phil

18. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

You can aviod it by using a queue instead of Ring Group

19. Philco

Philco Member

Why use a queue, when the facility is available to use a Ring Group and the phone gives an indication of another call and who it may be (CLI) and you may wish to hold the first call..

I am still confused as to why the facility was removed and the reluctance to put it back.

Phil

20. matthijsolislagers

matthijsolislagers New Member

I also don't want to use a queue for servreal reasons

1) People are charged for the waiting time because they are already connected.
    2) We would like the secretary to directly answer the phone, not an on hold tune or digital receptionist.
    3) Sometimes there is only one secretary, sometimes two or three. This changes during the day. Logging in and out of a queue all the time isn't an option.
    4) Sometimes it is nececarry to take two lines at a time.

For me the only option is to use the phone busy status for ring groups. I really do believe this is a basic functionality which 3CX should support. Please consider it.

Matthijs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.