Ring Phone even when "away"

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gavpop, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavpop

Editing an Extension - forwarding rules.
    When a user is away, I'd like their phone to still ring.
    In the "away" drop down, I choose "forward to extension" and set the extension to be their own extension.
    But when their phone is called I get "not found".

I really need the phones to ring, even when someone is away. How do I do this?

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The procedure you are using is creating a loop and you are correctly getting an error. To have the phone ringing you should not set the phone to Away. The other way i can think of for doing this is to create a ring group and have this extension as a member. When the extension is set to away forward the call to that ring group and enable the option accept calls from ring group under the forwarding rules of the Away status. That way the call will come in go the ring group and the extension will ring.
    Give it a try and us know if that works

3. gavpop

Thanks for your reply. This all seems like a workaround though, and I'm not a big fan of creating workarounds (just creates headaches further down the line).

Basically my issues stem from the fact the 3CX client does not handle status well when something untoward happens.
    If it suffers some kind of outage (app crash, plug pulled on PC, etc), it leaves the status as away.
    This then screws with a users' deskphone.
    What I'd like is to demote the presence status to simply be a display of someones's presence, but not alter anything in regards to the telephone system. This way users' can get an idea of someones presence, but still ring them. If the phone sits there ringing, so be it, it's the users' choice to ring it, ignoring the fact presence says they're away.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What about sending (forwarding) the call to second (different) extension line key, on their set?

At this point "Away" has one meaning...I'm not there. You desire a second option that says "I want you to think I'm away, but there's a chance might take your call".
    I can see how "technical issues" might leave the status "incorrect", but the options are there for the 99% of situations where things are running the way they should.

You can always submit this as a feature suggestion, in the ideas forum.

#4 leejor, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.