• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring tone delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectra

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
when we dial outside number with yealink phones, we noticed delay of 4-6 seconds before we are able to hear ringing tone. Is it possible to set somehow when we dial outside number to hear immediately ring tone? Many customers complain about this. It looks like that system is slow. I'm sure this is normal and ring tones comes when sip connection is established.

Some of the delay you are experiencing may be a result of the set(s) awaiting additional digits before sending them onto the PBX. Do you use a "dial" key or # as end of dialling signal? Some sets have an internal dialplan to send digits immediately one a dialled number is matched. The wait time for more digits is usually variable, however if set too short then any pause will result in an incorrect/incomplete number being sent. The default delay is usually about 5 seconds.

If you use a PSTN gateway, some delay results from the gateway seizing dialtone and then sending the DTMF tones before audio is cut through.

Sent button or speaker button doesn't matter. 10 or 11 digits plan, there is no difference. For compare, Asterisk usually start ringing immediately then if respond is busy start ringing busy tone. If I'm remember well, that was not issue on previous versions and grandstream phones.

I too have the same delay using Yealink sets and a Patton PSTN FXO gateway. Once the 'SEND' button is pressed, there's a delay of about 3-5 second delay before ringtone is heard. It looks like the delay is within the Patton gateway on this system. When the system was first installed there was some concern from the customer but they have gotten used to it.

Using a Cisco SPA-3102, I do get a bit of a delay as the gateway dials the number. There is a very low level series of "click" noises as the DTMF tones are sent on the PSTN line.

In your gateway, there may be options that will shorten the "dead air" but probably only by a second or so.
Any changes could cause other issues, so keep track of anything you do and be prepared to change it back.

See if there is a wait for dialtone option. if dialtone is assumed, then digits will be sent without any delay. If your phone lines have a tendency to go down from time to time, then isn't an option to change.
Is there an option to set the delay before sending digits?
In some cases the DTMF duration, and inter digit time can be shortened, but, that can lead to wrong numbers being reached.

As I said, any changes, may cause unintended issues.

So, no one have any solution for this? 5-7 sec is to long. Doesn't matter if we are using SIP trunk or POTS gateway. I already lost one customer because of this. They told me that system is "slow".

VoIP trunk calls should not have the same delay as one though a PSTN gateway.

Go through the 3CX logs and follow the timestamps from the point when 3CX receives the dialled digits to when it has sent them onto the outgoing route. Internally there should be very little time in processing the call. Once the digits have been passed on, that is when any delay caused by the gateway will be encountered. With a VoIP provider, it will then depend on how they route the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.