• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-ocker

Free User
Reaction score
Using Free V12.
If I set up an outbound rule with 1 VOIP Provider route and make an outgoing call I get this ring tone :-

ring ring pause ring ring

However if I add a 2nd VOIP provider to the outgoing rule and make an outgoing call (which still uses VOIP Provider 1) the ring tone changes to this which is not what I want :-

long ring pause long ring

Anyone know why.
Is there a setting I can change.
Thanks

A couple of items for clarity.

When you describe the ring tone, is this what you hear over the handset or is it what you hear from the number you dialed (physical phone is sitting next to you)? While you indicated an external number, this implies only that the VoIP provider came into play, but the phone/number you dialed could still be sitting next to you.

While you made two calls, were they both to the same phone/number?

I am not aware of any setting or reason why the ringtone would change due to the addition of a 2nd provider. I might understand if the provider is giving a ring back while transitioning the call and then once done a different ring back tone occurs whilst actually ringing the destination. However, I am of the impression that the addition should have nothing to do with anything involving the first provider unless you have outbound rules that direct the 2nd provider to come into play if the 1st provider is not able to accommodate the call.

If you have the destination phone within hearing distance and this is what you are describing, many of the IP-Phones have ringtones that can be utilized to help identify what kind of call it might be and some support customization so you attach a tone to a DID/Person.

I incorrectly said I am using V12. I am using V11 if that makes any difference.
The ring tone I am referring to is the tone in the handset not the ring of the called number.
It happens on all called numbers.
All calls go via provider 1. None to provider 2.
If I remove the second provider the ring tone changes back to the one I want.
Thanks

Sorry, but I am stumped on this. I guess it possible that 3CX is providing the ring back and might use a different tone so that the caller can be made aware of which outlet is being used, but I have never paid attention to it.

If the audio has been cut through to the VoIP provider after digits have been sent from 3CX to them, and I'm assuming that it has, then the ringback tone is either from the far end (call destination), or from your provider. They may provide ringback tone until they receive an answer supervision, at that point they would cut audio through. Each provider may be handling calls differently, presumably to save bandwidth until needed for speech. You might want to ask to them about this.

I have added two log files.
"one" is log file with one provider.
"two" is log file with two providers.
Perhaps some expert can examine them and find why there is a different ring tone.
Thanks

Attachments

• one.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 28
  • two.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 27
If you change your outbound rule that the rule tries to call with the other provider first.
Still the same ring tone?

If its still the same its 3CX if it changes the ring tone its your provider. ;)

Let me know.

I took a quick look and I noticed a couple of oddities, but not enough to suggest a solution.

A wireshark capture is likely to be of more help.

What I did notice is that both calls used the same sip server, but apparently different media servers. This would be set by the provider and not 3CX. The port with both providers being installed also showed a ringing response; which the single provider post did not.

You might try the same test and using wireshark compare the two flows. My "guess" at this point is that 3CX is/was generating a ring back for the single and the provider for the double.

Reversed providers in outbound rule.
Same result.
Does this prove it is being caused by 3CX and not providers?

I think its coming out of 3CX.
Not sure why.

Can you send a wireshark capture?

You know how to do that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8X1VLXr3Kw

Both calls are routing to Pennytel. the differences that I see without going over it with a microscope...

In "One" at 12:08:18.715 there is a Send 183 where the other call "Two" has Send 180, just before the Send 180 there is a SIP / 2.0 180 Ringing message, which is not in call "One".

Have you spoken to Pennytel about this?

Thanks to everyone who looked at this.
Because the same thing happens when I reverse providers I am assuming it is 3CX and not the providers causing it.
I am just going to go with the wrong ring tone.
Interestingly I blocked outgoing calls from using the first provider (edit port menu) and the calls overflowed to the second provider with the correct ring tone.
So then I allowed calls from the first provide and blocked outgoing calls from the second provider and the calls went out on the first provider with the correct ring tone.
I am not going to do a wireshark capture as I wouldn't be able to change anything after getting the results.
As I said I (and hopefully the wife) will just put up with the wrong ring tone.
Thanks again.

Edit. Anyone know where the 3CX ring tone file is - perhaps I can replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.