• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ringing sound - call queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshhough

Reaction score
Hi There,

I've got a client who hates the built in 3cx hold music. They're after having a ringing sound as the hold music as when a user calls it goes straight into a queue so a ring would be a 'normal' sound to hear.

I've downloaded a few but they all seem to be really poor quality with noise and things. Does anyone know where the built in UK ring tone is stored in the 3cx system? or is it generated by the handset?

Thanks,

Josh

Prompts:
C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Prompts

3cx have bulit in ring tone, the name is: US Progresstone.wav

Reactions: mmarks9156
Hi,

I've just looked in two different 3CX installs i have and neither have the file you describe in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Prompts
or in any of the Sets folders further in.

Settings-Advanced-Custom Parameters - check what path is there

In both cases the paramter for things like onhold is the same path as you suggested however i don't see the file you talk about.

Ok, if you try My computer, C: .... you cant see taht path, press start and in search filed copy/paste C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Prompts then you must see Prompts folder

Hi,

Yes, i see the folder. These are the files listed. This varies based on what system i am viewing depending on the prompts for callers etc:
C:\Users\MASNetworks>dir c:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Prompts
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 72FB-8B2A

Directory of c:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Prompts

10/08/2012 10:14 <DIR> .
10/08/2012 10:14 <DIR> ..
23/03/2011 09:22 1,966 Empty.wav
24/07/2012 14:02 201,646 nobody-available1.wav
24/07/2012 14:09 214,446 nobody-available2.wav
23/03/2011 09:22 4,616,684 onhold.wav
23/03/2011 09:22 1,471 ResponseOrdering.xml
10/08/2012 10:09 95,952 ringing-noise-reduction-15db.wav
10/08/2012 10:14 95,952 ringing-noise-reduction-25db.wav
10/08/2012 10:07 95,952 ringing-noise-reduction.wav
03/07/2012 16:46 48,014 ringing.wav
01/06/2012 13:24 <DIR> Sets
24/07/2012 14:00 169,646 welcome-closed1.wav
10 File(s) 5,541,729 bytes
3 Dir(s) 156,031,213,568 bytes free

C:\Users\MASNetworks>

Ringing.wav is the file i have made based on the tone i found and downloaded. However as i explained the quality is too poor.

There is several posts on the forum that said there is poor quality for prompts, i can advice you to try with this (from 3cx blog):

You can create new audio files (containing translated phrases from the base prompt set) by using a speech synthesizer or by recording audio from a microphone.
You can then edit audio with your favourite audio editor.

When you create audio files:

The supported audio file format is: WAV, PCM, 8 KHz, 16 bit.
Try and keep the wav files as small as possible
Remove redundant silence (more than 10-20 ms) at the beginning and at the end of prompts where possible
Avoid abrupt clipping of audio at the end of prompts to avoid audio artifacts (clicks) at the end of prompts.
Try to create prompts with similar audio characteristics, such as volume, pitch, voice timbre – so that combined phrases sound smooth

Please make sure that the audio file is in the supported format:

8000 Hz
16-bit
Mono
PCM-encoding
WAV format

I just need a simple uk dialtone that i can make into the on-hold file - thats what im struggling to find.

I figured that 3CX must have it built in somewhere as when you call in, if you use a Ring group - you get the dialtone - yet i cant find the file; even in the promptset folders?

Thanks,

In most cases, the ring tones are stored in the phone, which is why many phones provide a choice of ringer which can be used to help signify the call type or line. You probaly can't see the file that MIXIG indicates as I suspect that when the initial install was done, you specified that your install was for the UK whereas MIXIG did his for the US. This also setup the specific prompt sets as there is an English (US) and an English (UK) version.

I have attached a link that has a UK ring tone, however I suspect that there are plenty around if you do a google search.
http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/summary/play.cfm/crumb.1/crumc.0/sound_iid.166362

As MiXIG indicated, you may likely need to use a WAV editor in order to optimize the wav for your needs in addition to meeting the file requirements.

joshhough said:
I've got a client who hates the built in 3cx hold music. They're after having a ringing sound as the hold music as when a user calls it goes straight into a queue so a ring would be a 'normal' sound to hear.

While a ringback tone is "normal" to hear when waiting for someone to answer, and it is all well and good to use that if the wait time in a queue is very short, it will cause people to consider hanging up if they have to listen to it for more than about 30 seconds.

Ringback tone gives the indication, that somewhere, a phone is actually ringing, and someone is going to pick up the receiver in short order. If it goes on too long then people will give up in frustration, and dial again , thinking their call has been lost, or forgotten. think about how long you are willing to let a call ring before giving up because no voicemail (or human) answered.
Listening to some sort of music, to indicate that they are on hold, is the norm for a queue. if the particular music causes a problem, then simply change it to something agreeable.

Thanks for your answers guys.

With regards to the link you posted, that is a tone for a phone and the answer i kept finding on google - it isnt the tone you hear when you're the caller.

So with that being said, if the client doesn't want music, but wants some form of indication that the phone is ringing/they are being dealt with, what would you suggest? Do you know of any sites i can direct him to where he can listen to various tones such as a beep or similar that he can then pick from?

Thanks (and sorry to be a pain!)

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the same issue.
Thanks,

I decided to put the calls into a ring-group, that way they got the correct tone. It's just a shame because they don't get any of the same reporting as you do with Queues.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry to hear but I have done the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.