Route "unknown" caller ID calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TimBrooks, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBrooks

Hi All,

I am sure this question has probably been asked before but I just cannot seem to find the answer anywhere, have searched the forums & google but to no avail...

I have just installed 3cx free edition & would like to forward a call to a digital receptionist or whatever if the caller has no caller ID or if thier caller ID is blocked, can anyone tell me what i need to enter into the "Caller ID/DID" field under "forward rules settings" in the user portal?

I have been trying to figure out what the system will see when an unknown call is presented but i suppose I would need to run a wireshark trace to see this.

it would be amazing if this can be done as i wish to play an annoucement to callers who do not have caller ID showing.

Many thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You should also be able to see what is in the name and number fields in the 3Cx logs. A lot will depend on what your provider sends for blocked or "out of Area" calls. I'm not sure you will be able to route based on the name alone, or lack of a number. In Generally, the provider will send a "p" to get a caller ID box to display private and an "o" for out of area. This applies to caller ID in North America.

3. TimBrooks

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I guess ill have to do some test calls whilst blocking the number & see what the system sees the blocked call as, hopefully I can then create an entry & route the call based on this.

surely other people have tried this before, i cant be the 1st to want this ?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't forget that in the overall scheme of things, North America is just a part of the world market and caller ID is handled differently everywhere. Many customers that really don't want blocked calls will subscribe to a phone company service that will give callers a recording thus allowing them the option to unblock their number and have the call go though. For a while many mobile customers had their numbers blocked automatically with most people being unaware of how to unblock. Unless they were getting pestered constantly with blocked number calls most businesses would rather risk the call and not turn away a possible customer than ban someone from ever reaching them if the caller isn't even aware that their number is being blocked.

An "unknown" number is usually not caused by the caller, it just means that somewhere along the route of the call path there was no CCS7 to transfer the number info. It is rare nowadays but can happen, especially on international calls.

I realize that you aren't trying to ban callers, but just route them based on lack of caller ID info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.