• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

RSVP, WFQ or other Cisco QoS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjammer

Free User
Reaction score
I have been off on my Voip adventure getting VoIP to work across our WAN. The remote office has a 256k connection to it via our Cisco routers. some days the voice is really good others it is really bad.
I want to at least meet in the middle and have it good all the time. I have been trying to get RSVP configured and use fair-queue to help prioritize the packets. What I have done so far seems to have helped some but not enough to keep the quality constant

Has anyone else done this on a frame-relay circuit? If so, can you give me some tips or sample configs We are using 2600 and 1750 routers with 12.1 IOS

Cjammer

QoS

cjammer,

You are going to need some serious QoS on that WAN link to get dependable VoIP if your offices are goign to support multiple calls.

Take a look at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094af9.shtml

I have done alot of little stuff already and I get some really good calls as long as VoIP is the only thing on the network. Once the network gets in real heavy use, then the calls get one sided audio, sounds like a cell call or if it is really bad, then the call is not concernable at all.

Some of the basic QoS stuff really helps, but I can tell I need to get the advanced queuing stuff all setup.

if you have the paid version then you should look at using g729. that will cut your bandwidth down from 87k/call to 32k.

cjammer said:
I have done alot of little stuff already and I get some really good calls as long as VoIP is the only thing on the network. Once the network gets in real heavy use, then the calls get one sided audio, sounds like a cell call or if it is really bad, then the call is not concernable at all.

Some of the basic QoS stuff really helps, but I can tell I need to get the advanced queuing stuff all setup.

Purely giving a higher priority to your voice traffic (irrespective of what it is) will be the best (and only real) thing you can do.

If you subsequently still get choppy voice then either you've maxed out your bandwidth for voice (and your data services will *really* suffer), and you'd better buy more bandwidth.

Obviously the first thing is to ensure you're using the G729 codec though as it really cuts down on bandwidth requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.