Running 3CX on hyper-v

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by imabev, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imabev

Is anyone running 3CX on hyper-v. I think there were some issues a couple years back but not sure if they've been worked out in v12? I have been running 3CX on a physical for 2 years but would like to virtualize it.

2. bardissi

bardissi Member

Here yo go
    http://www.3cx.com/docs/installing-microsoft-hyper-v/

3. imabev

Thanks bardissi - I have seen that doc but I was hoping someone could relate some first hand experience.

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Running a 3CX Phone System installation in a virtualized environment is something very common and as long as the System Requirements are met (don't forget to calculate +10% in the requirements) you shouldn't have an issue. Note that you must install the Integrated Services if you choose to go Hyper-V.

However what issues are you referring to and what version of 3CX where they present on?

5. imabev

I think it may have been version 10 I heard there were some issues of increased jitter. It could have been anything tbh. It appears if I follow the instructions in the doc it will work just fine. I think I am going to try this this weekend.

6. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Go for it.
    I got tired of that AMD desktop on top of the UPS in our rack.. first threw it on the File/Print/DC box running 2012 R2.. finally went with it's own VM instead. Been pretty much flawless. My problems have been firewalls tanking or crapping out from RTP streams (really?... you're going to choke on a friggin' pair of streams for a phone call?...) so I multi-homed my PBX machine by dropping another vNIC onto the config with VLAN 666 or the external WAN.. and majiggered some port-based VLAN for the switch to the WAN circuit.. my hypervisor is has a team to the switch.

Short version.. it works fine. Just watch out for dynamic MAC.. your license activations will hate you eventually (I think five..).

7. DJHiP

Yes it works fine.

We deploy to Hyper-V Servers on site before offering a laptop/desktop/server option for clients.

We have also been running it on our own Hyper-V box since V11 SP0 without issue. (Currently V12 SP6).

As above, just make sure the MAC is fixed to avoid any issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bcampbell74

I have 3CX running on VMware on a Mac Mini at one client location. Not a problem at all, works great!

9. imabev

I tried to switch over 3CX from a physical to a hyper v yesterday and wasn't able to get it working. I have something incorrectly configured in the network adapter. Calls would hit the 3CX (they would momentarily show up in the ports/trunk status) but then they would disappear and I would get a 3CX recording 'your call could not be completed'. In the 3CX logs I could see that there were references to the ip address on the host adapter on the hyper v host machine which is NOT the ip address of the 3cx vm. The 3cx vm has a different static IP address configured.

My guess is there is some routing or DNS issue somewhere. The only way 3CX would know about the IP address of the network adapter on the host machine is if it was looking up the IP of the 3CX server via the mac address of the host adapter (which is the statically configured mac address of the virtual adapter).

I followed the instructions in the hyper-v/3cx doc. Maybe I missed something or overconfigured something?

10. bardissi

bardissi Member

How did you migrate backup and restore?

11. imabev

From the 3CX backup and restore tool.

I had a new hyper v server ready with the current 3cx version installed. I backed up the current instance, then restored to the hyper v. 3CX itself looks good on the hyper v, but there is a network issue with the configuration.

12. bardissi

bardissi Member

On trunks or extensions?

13. imabev

I think both; calls both internal and external hit the 3cx for a second, then drop. My guess is this: calls hit the 3CX server then cannot reach any extensions and they do not get forwarded to voicemail. BUT the message I get 'this call cannot be completed' is from the 3CX server.

14. bardissi

bardissi Member

It's really a black or white they get there or they don't

What number are you dialing?

15. imabev

Everything from a local extension to an outside line. Also trying from the outside in hitting any of our DID's that connect through POTs, PRI or SIP.

I believe the issue is a ip addressing issue between the host and the vm.

16. bardissi

bardissi Member

Try calling voicemail from any extension do you get there ?

17. imabev

No nothing on voicemail. Never gets to any destination in or out.

18. bardissi

bardissi Member

Go to settings, advanced, custom parameters and then in the search box type in the OLD lan ip and see if it shows up anywhere. If it does replace it with the new ip address.

19. imabev

I will try this. Somehow the 3CX is picking up the ip address of the host network adapter and it may see that somehow on startup. BTW the current 3CX and the new vm I tried to deploy were the same IP address. (but it still may have gotten confused somehow).

20. bardissi

bardissi Member

Sounds like a hyper v config issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.