Running PBX under Virtual PC or Virtual Server?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sbussinger, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sbussinger

Any known issues with running the 3CX PBX under Virtual PC or Virtual Server? I'm interested in testing but want to make sure my test environment isn't going to skew my results.

Thanks!

2. blettner

no issues, works fine for me :)

3. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

We have been testing for months now on virtual machines. No problems at all.

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Actually we run our phone system on a virtual machine. Thats the beauty of a software based IP PBX. Your backup phone system is a file on your hard disk. Smaller offices can use an XP VM with 256 mb ram. As you grow, simply add virtual memory to handle more lines and extensions!

5. jjones

I've been testing with VMware workstation 5.5 and 6 and 3CX seems to run just fine in either. The guest OS was Windows XP Pro. I will try it in VMware ESX 3.01 shortly and report back my findings.

The back-up and restore feature of this phone system is great. I've moved to and from testing between virtual machines and physical ones and am able to back-up and restore seemlessly. This will make for a very nice desaster recovery (is there such a thing!?).

Also, do you know of a way to automate the backup process?

Thanks,

Jim