Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8 LTE Camera not working for QR enrollment

Discussion in 'Android' started by upcraft, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upcraft

I have a small fleet of 26 Samsung Galaxy tab E 8" LTE tablets.
    running stock Samsung Android 7.1.1
    3CX android app version 15.5.170

Also tried 15.5.208 beta test version

While we do not expect frequent usage I'm installing the 3CX app on them to make calls. It's not a real phone device so no earpiece but with headphones or just the speakerphone it works. And if it did have an earpiece it's not a 10" tablet but still looks like you are holding a cookie sheet to your head if you tried it that way. :)

Anyhow, problem is, the camera fails 100% of the time when trying to do QR code enrollment. I have removed 1 unit from mobile device management and factory reset it to stock just to check it wasn't a strange permission pushed from the MDM I missed.
    Nope. Error is:
    "Camera couldn't be initialized, check camera permissions for the 3CX Client application.

In Settings->apps->3cx->App Permissions Camera is allow (Everything is set to allow)
    Other 3rd party apps like a barcode scanner app I have works fine with the camera in the device.

It seems to only be a problem on these model tablets. On mobile phones no problem. (Galaxy S6 and S8+ tested)
    On an old Nexus 7 tablet running android 6 it works.
    Have an open ticket on the issue: 177490

The verbose logs were sent and my untrained eye looking at the logs there is a runtime exception that a google search seems to indicate other android devs run into with their apps too. Looks like those devs found solutions so hopefully they can track it down with my logs or find a similar device to test with.

I was able to do it the old way with email the provisioning file and it opened from gmail web interface without resorting to a file explorer hack. I do not keep these fleet tablets setup with an email account so I just did an incognito tab in chrome and logged into a temporary gmail account to send the files to myself. I have seen the problem where the attachment doesn't go directly to the 3cx app when opened but in this case somehow it worked without prompting but I don't really have many apps loaded to conflict with however it associates the file attachment extension to the app internally in android.

Still if a user has a problem in the field I would like a way to walk them through reprovisioning via qr code without needing email access. I have the tablets all setup with Samsung mobile enrollment so even after factory reset they connect to the management automatically during initial setup so a user can do a full wipe and get all the standard corporate apps back. They just need a way to reconfigure the 3cx app to the extensions I made for each unit.

2018-01-08 00_03_51-20180106_161651.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2018-01-08 00_05_01-Screenshot_20180106-160821.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Thanks for the report. We'll take a look at this and let you know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. upcraft

Thank you. They have fixed it in the most recent release beta 15.5.218

QR provisioning now working on the Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8" (And I suspect any other device with that type of camera)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.