Solved Sangoma gateways

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JChill, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JChill

Hi,
    during the last 30 years as informatician I have realized that proprietary software is a double sided sword: you have support, new features, quick updates but sometimes you can be stuck in a dead end with no solution and you have lto spend tons of money to resolve something or throw everything away.

The story:
    When our company choose 3CX it was version 14, and 15 near to be published. We purchased 2 Sangoma Vega 50 Gateways in advance becouse they were declared to be compatible with this product.
    Then, 3CX version 15 has been published and we called or local reseller to buy a 3CX licence.
    We didn't mind about compatibility because devices are usually ADDED and not REMOVED from the compatibility list. There were no information like "will be not supported on next release" that many other provide.
    During the installation we realized that Sangoma Vega 50 gateways were suddenly no longer supported. We hoped in updates or new releases because we were told to "hold on, something may change". Now the news is: no compatibily, you have to purchase something else.
    Sangoma Vega 50 cost was more 1000EUR, we will be lucky if we sell the for 300EUR. It is more than our 3CX license.
    On open source software, either the community or paid professionals would solve the problem, or even myself as programmer because "we can", it is open.
    3CX is a nice product but in our company it is danger having it. Even our current software/hardware technology could be not supported in future releases and face situations with no other solution than spending a lot more money again. We will dismiss 3CX when we will have again the budged for a change: sad but true.

Giuseppe Chillemi
    CEO of Raviol D'Oro s.n.c

#1 JChill, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
    sip.bg likes this.
  2. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

With Android and iOS, many features require a newer phone. I bought the iPad v. 1 and it's no longer supported past iOS 5.
    With 30 years under your belt you should understand this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

If this gateway used to work with v.14, there is no reason it would not work with v.15.5, even not officially supported.
    That usually means only device can't be provisioned automatically, or in rare cases some features will not work.
    If the device is compatible with Asterisk / FreePBX, almost 100% probably it will work with 3CX too.
    Check: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/VG/Vega+50+BRI+with+3CX

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 sip.bg, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    accentlogic, dan_tx and jbryant84 like this.
  4. JChill

I don't like having unpatched and unsecure Android hardware and I don't like the path infomatic has taken in the last years.
    At least Apple warns you months before an update will not work on your device and this device is usually not sold anymore since years.
    Here you al talking with a customer which purchased a devices which sells thousand of pieces each month, one of the best brand, which has gone unsupported just a little before the release of version 15. ABSOLUTELY no warning has been published on the 3CX site.
    So I have my telecommunication projects stuck. My company will have to wait to raise again new budget and replace 3CX with something else.

5. JChill

Thank you for the answer. The local reseller/engineer told me NO COMPATIBILITY, can't install it. He held the device for 10 months with no solution.
    When I'll have some spare time I'll read the link you have sent to me and try to configure the gateway by myself.

accentlogic likes this.
  6. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Can you tell me who told you this device would be supported some day, certainly not an 3CX employee.
    Also this device was NEVER on our web page as supported, so we could never remove it from there.

I feel strongly sad that our product has been put here up to blame where it is not.
    So please dont put something on our plate which never should be on it and then point the finger!

As you clearly stated the gateways cost more then 3CX, I assume you opened the same post in the Sangoma forums, right?

dan_tx and comms1 like this.
  7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

@JChill

Unfortunately you were misled by your reseller. The Vega 50 gateways have never been officially support by 3CX. I believe Sangoma support was dropped in v12 which is before the Vega product line was available. But while the device is not officially supported I've yet to find a SIP compliant device that doesn't work with 3CX. The Vega 50's should work just fine when manually configured.

Good luck!

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

#9 sip.bg, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The download links, on the site that I posted, don't seem to be valid any longer, but, indicate, as sip.bg has posted....Sangoma has templates.

It is certainly, in the interest, of any VoIP product manufacturer, to go the extra mile, by providing such tools, making their products as compatible with as many PBXs as possible. I would have gone to them first, if I were told that something I spent a lot of money on, wouldn't work. The same sort of thing happened a while back with Grandstream.
    I hope that this has a "happy ending".

11. JChill

Hi Stefan,
    I clearly remember Vega 50 being on the compatibility list, maybe not on version 14 but on version 12. But hey, time has passed and I do not have the instrument to verify.
    The local reseller has waited for upgrades but I suppose he was just hoping the device would have been supported.
    As other users have written in the forum, there is a template somewhere to try. As far I remember I have already send that links to the reseller many months ago but from the answers I have got here it seems he could not be able to install/configure the gateways.
    As for blaming 3CX.. well I was blaming 3CX and the closed source concept together. My GrandStream GXV3275 is still here with no video if outside my company network.
    I am now blaming myself for my choice, not 3CX. It happened again to be stuck with no solution on problems arised in a software with no available source code. Answers like "not supported; no access to the code to find the problem" are forever if we find an incompability and 3CX does not face the problem. And yes, a company could not face every incompatibility of his product with all the devices out there but a community with access to the code usually can do much more.
    Simply, my investments are safer on open source and riskier on closed one.

12. JChill

File not found on the server....

13. JChill

No, he did not misled me on compatibility before purchasing. I remember having read about compatibility and it has been my choice to purchase the Vega 50 gateways. He took the device and later told me "I have contacted 3CX with no luck, the device is not compatible". Now, after one year he kept it in house for configuration I suppose he has not the skill to do manually do this job.

#13 JChill, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  14. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

No proof. Sounds questionable.

15. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

May be you can contact Sangoma to send you template or assist you for configuring it manually:
    If there is any issues please create a ticket at support.sangoma.com for help manually configuring the unit.

16. JChill

I'll do this tomorrow but Sangoma seems to require a "paid support" for this kind of ticket. So, the file which has been removed would cost about 350USD to receive it. I'll register the gateways on their site tomorrow (needed to open the tickets) and lets see if the ticket could be opened without paying this fee.
    Thanks in advance for your answers.

17. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

accentlogic likes this.
  18. shenwei

Hi, it would not be a problem even if it isn't officially supported by 3CX. We are always using the gateways which are not among the brands on 3cx.com. No resellers of such official supported gateways in our market. But everything is going well. So just find a good reseller to help with the installation.

sip.bg likes this.
  19. JChill

Thank you for the links.

We have a VEGA 50 FXO.

20. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

If you don't get support from Sangoma, I could give you a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.