Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SBC and Hosted 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rhea, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhea

Hi all,

New to the site, but have been looking at 3CX for some time for some of our customers and I've finally got an opportunity to look into 3CX.

Now, most of our customers are wanting to look at a "cloud" hosted solution vs having hardware on their own site. I know that it makes them more reliant on their internet connection, however I don't see this as an issue since any onsite system using SIP trunks is going to be reliant on internet anyhow........

So I setup a trial account from the 3CX website for a V14 hosted trial and I can connect a 3CX softphone to it OK etc, however when trialling one of our test Cisco 504G's I'm able to get the phone provisioned easily enough (phone extension shows on phone and 3CX logo shows etc) but the phone isn't registering with the 3CX cloud trial and I'm not sure why.

Since we're technically remote to the 3CX am I going to need to install the 3CX SBC ? I have looked and looked for some documentation, but everything I can find is all about having a local 3CX installation and setting up for remote offices rather than working with a hosted 3CX in the cloud and using phones on the local site.

Any advice is much appreciated for a newbie !! :)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Be careful with the spa504 and remote. We lost a customer because it was mostly stable but would fail calls and registrations randomly. Also the 504 has limited support from 3cx and definitely no support remotely.

Go with a site to site VPN if you go this way or one of the phone models 3cx will support for remote deployment.

3. rhea

Thanks for the advice. We have the option to go with other phones, so that's not an issue, however I want to be able to prove a few concepts before we go any further so I really want to be able to use the phones I have here and I can handle a few odd issues (such as the ones you mention) as long as the basics work, but at this point it won't even register even though it pulled its configuration OK so the config has been pushed from the 3CX so I can only assume the config is correct.

Also, a site to site VPN isn't possible since the 3CX is hosted and I don't believe 3CX offer me the option to connect to their site with a VPN.

Any advice around getting my 504G registered so I can test would be much appreciated..........

Should what I have be working ? ie Hosted 3CX with just a configuration pulled from the 3CX on the phone ? I was assuming I wouldn't need anything else other than the phone, an internet connection and the 3CX hosted install............ I assume I don't need an SBC install ?

4. rhea

OK got everything registered finally..........

Did some more hunting through the options and found under the extension not registered that you have to make sure on the Phone provisioning tab that "Provisioning method" is set to Remote Extension STUN, then more importantly (the step I just found) is to go to the options tab, then under the "restrictions" section you need to make sure the option "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN" isn't ticked. This seems to be ticked by default and of course stops it from registering when the 3CX is hosted as it makes all the phones "outside the LAN".

Hope this helps someone else....This is V14.

5. hogan71088

Just download and install the 3cx sbc on a local windows machine and connect it to the cloud system. It's very simple. Once setup just plug a supported phone in and it will send the provisioning request through the sbc to the cloud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.