Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SBC installation: virtual machine or Raspberry pi?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by agentsmithitaly, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentsmithitaly

Hi all,
    we are testing 3CX 15.5 running on an AWS micro.t2 instance, there are still call quality issues from time to time, I guess mainly due to Internet connection slowdowns.

Before resorting to an expensive router with advanced QoS, I would like to give the SBC a go.
    I understood I cannot install on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine, it needs a dedicated OS - despite the server doing very little work.

Based on your experience, do you recommend running a Linux Debian VMware Player on said Windows Server, or go straight to a dedicated Raspberry Pi 3? Or forget the SBC, and run the full 3CX system on said virtual machine?
    There are 14 extensions at the moment, of which 3 are not essential and could be removed.

I tried to look for previous posts in the forum, but the word "sbc" is deemed too short by the search tool...

Thank you in advance for your insights,
    Nick

2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi Nick,

I have always used the Raspi version of the SBC and for the amount of extension you have I would recommend this device, I have always found it reliable and is small enough that customers do not even notice it onsite. It runs on Debian Stretch 9 and supports up to 20 phones tops.

Just ensure you are running a "supported" phone with the correct Firmware version on it:
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

Yealinks are my preference.

3. agentsmithitaly

Thank you eddv123 for the quick reply, we have 4 Yealink T23G phones, the rest of the extensions are Android/Windows 3CX Clients.
    I had to use a Cisco SPA112 adapter to ring a bell (it is a noisy environment) when there are incoming calls, but it is not used for voice.

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

As above Raspi version will be fine for your setup - get one of the newer Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ just because of the processor / network speed of the unit.

if you have poe switches , this unit takes Raspberry Pi Power over Ethernet (PoE) HAT - no external power supply required

5. agentsmithitaly

Hi to all,
    In the end I installed the Sbc on a Debian VM on company server as I was out of office.
    I provisioned the Yealink phone and seems to work.
    What about the 3CX Android and Windows clients? There are no instructions to provision them on SBC.
    Is it automatic? Shall I re-provision them?

Thank you and apologies for these noobs questions.

Nick

6. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Android , IOS and Windows clients connects directly to the 3CX server - they do not use SBC - So no changes are required for these devices

7. agentsmithitaly

Ha! So almost useless in this setup since we have like 2 Yealink phones and 12 clients.
    I wanted to improve call quality with internal calls, are the clients smart enough not to traverse the tunnel to AWS-hosted 3CX server?
    If not, I could simply run whole 3CX installation on company server and call it a day. Company have no branches, just a single office.

Thank you for the quick reply

8. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

NOTE: Despite the fact that the clients do not use the SBC to direct traffic to and from, they still use 3CX Tunnel to connect (port 5090). It is in-built to the client.

You can turn this functionality off on the client and have a direct SIP extension but this isn't advisable.

9. agentsmithitaly

Yeah but there will be a tunnel connection for each client and as such they will be NATted. I through it was a more streamlined approach to have a single tunnel connection via the SBC with no NAT involved as I'm forwarding traffic to port 5090 directly to the SBC

Thank you for the reply. I think most of customers issues are due to unreliable Android app. It is too finicky. I probably switch to Snom cordless phones quickly... or they will revert to a standard PBX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.