• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SBC on VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK-KPT

Bronze Partner
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to 3CX and was wondering if anyone has ever run SBC on a VM in production. Any reasons not to, or caveats to watch out for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi JK-KPT,

I have not done this personally (I like using Raspi for this) but I know of plenty of our resellers who have done this without issue.

The only thing as far as using VM that I am aware of is the network adapter - make sure you bridge it and don't use it in NAT mode.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Thank you so much for your prompt reply eddv123. I apologize for my late response. Something else came up and I am just now getting back to this. Why can't I use it in NAT mode?

I have several working in a biz centre on VMs, using VMWare 6.

The SBCs where running the Linux 3CX for each business, then moved the 3CX instances to the cloud and re-used the VMs as SBCs as they were so easy to fire up as SBCs.

Been running since late last year with no issues.

Great! Thanks for the response. I take it no network or config changes were required.

No, just uploaded a newer ISO as my Debians were all 8.x so needed an update.

Network etc all the same. Also acts as a good DR with the newer ISO as you can just spin up a new 3CX so quickly on VMs.

Have done similar with Windows 10 installs that I have moved to the cloud - simply removed the 3CX prog from the Win 10 PC, then used it as an SBC on site instead, with a Raspberry as backup. Same sort of scenario, as also a DR option there.

Thank you. Sounds good, and I agree the 3CX ISO makes it very easy to throw up a new VM. I intend to use it for DR as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.