SBCs and Disk I/O requirements

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by floppyraid, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floppyraid

Greetings again all,

Still loving 3cx. It is lightyears ahead of everything else.

I'm curious about what you people have seen as far as typical disk I/O on SBCs. Do you think one could run off of a newer SD card?

My basic idea is this, please clue me in if you see my train of thought derailing in error--

I'd like to deploy reliable mini pc's to use as SBCs at clients sites that have less than 30 users. I'm thinking about using newer SD cards as their boot volumes to both bring down the cost of each SBC and make swapping them out at clients sites easier in the event the box dies. From what I understand the amount of data stored on the SBC is minimal, my main question is how much read and write disk I/O is typical on an SBC? Assuming logging isn't set to debug I would imagine writes don't happen all that often (please feel free to correct me!)

2. OCWI

OCWI New Member

Your thoughts arent too far off except for the mini pc part. In terms of I/O , a newer SD card will be perfectly fine. The weakness however in the mentioned approach is the Windows based SBC. They simply work like crap. The service crashes - often. Use raspberri Pi's instead and youll be in great shape.

Only thing to note with rasp pi is make sure you set wait on network for boot.

For offsite access i recommend using dataplicity for the pi's.

3. JonnyM

SanDisk industrial SD cards are a small price premium over standard cards, and designed for higher durability. I would expect you'd be fine with a Pi and a quality card.

4. floppyraid

Very interesting- how many active sip sessions can you push on a pi reliably?

5. smario

smario Support Team

For the Pi, for office locations up to 20 phones with 10 BLFs is what we recommend. For more extensions, you would have to use Debian or Windows SBC.

Disk IO is negligible on the SBC and as such you can consider a card for storage if you will be using a Mini PC. The Pi works this way so there's no reason to believe that it won't on a Mini PC, given that the Mini PC is able to boot from the card.

#5 smario, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  6. neville

neville New Member

According to this article https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/

"The 3CX SBC on a Raspberry PI 2 or 3 should be used when the remote office has up to 20 phones with a maximum of 10 BLF keys per device. If you have more than 20 phones, then you need to use the 3CX SBC for Windows or Debian.

Has this been changed?

Chuck

7. smario

smario Support Team

Correction on my part, yes, 20 phones with up to 10 BLFs. Typo from me in previous post =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.