• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Scoping of server specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

binary1

Gold Partner
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to run 3cx v9 with 20 concurrent calls going at one time with the recording feature on. Aiming for 80 calls or so a day for each user averaging say 5 minutes a call.

Can I get a quick run down of what sort of specs the server would require?

I'm looking at the following at the moment. I know 3cx will scale well and it's only 20 users but am concerned I guess only on the disks for when there are 20 odd calls being recorded at one go. Would it be wiser for SAS or would SATA is good enough. Would like to scale it to like 50 in the next 1 - 2 years.

Intel Quad-Core Xeon X3430 2.40 GHz
4GB RAM x 2 DDR3
2 x 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD RAID 1 for System
2 x 2TB SATA 7200RPM HD RAID 1 for Data

Thanks for any advice.

Your spec is fine, bit of an overkill but will allow you to grow

In m opinion your configuration is already just a bit of an overkill, which is always a good thing.
Later on you should be able to add more extensions.

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Can you give me your opinion on how you would spec it up? Give or take scale it to like 40-50 users in the long run. Take note, recording is on all the time for all extensions. Thanks.

Your current config is fine for another 40-50 users more later on, you MAY need to go for a Raid 0 configuration because of the amount of simultaneous recorded calls, but don't take my word on that, you might be fine with your current config as well.

Leonidas!!! Watch out!!!! When I posted RAID0 on this forum I was blasted by Something other and Camp in the Carolinas (some Partner). The politically correct answer is RAID 10 or 1+0 or 0+1 LOL

Your setup is perfectly fine but please keep in mind that write speed at Raid 1 is impaired. While the above mixes of Mirror/Stripe could cost you 2X the money, they are well worth it. They will take 1 drive loss and 2 if in different sets but your performance will we just great.

IF you have a decent backup (CDP) in place, I am all for Raid 0 for the data drive. I'd go as far as adding a third drive to speed it up. (expect 300MB/s on Sata3 drives for Raid 0 on 3 drives or a bit more)

Hi, thanks for the clarification. I've always stayed away from a RAID0 config due to the problems when a hard drive fails. One fail all fail. So I've always either had a RAID1 or 5 in place. A RAID0 mirror will be good but as you've put it, cost is the problem. I guess, the other issue is also the downtime. When the hard drive fails... it will take some time to get the server back up and running. I wonder if 3cx will fail if the recording write-to disk fails? Leonidas, any comments here?

We'll have to test it up and see if it scales well. Start off with RAID1, then maybe move to a iSCSI perhaps in the future when things go heavier.

Raid10 does not take your system down at all. The rebuild is faster than a Raid 5 and the system keeps on going in the meantime. Use SATA and hot plug caddies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.