Second SIP trunk with same DID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JavierT, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JavierT

Hi All,

Running version 10, latest release.

We are just starting out but have most of our needs up and running.

Voicepulse provides us with a primary SIP trunk, and a backup trunk as well. The backup trunk is configured with the same primary phone number...

If I add in the second trunk with the same number I get the error:

A line with this number already exists.

This worked fine in Elastix.. any thoughts?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is the number required for registration, or, is it just being used in the 3CX settings to identify the trunk. If it's the second then try using a different number. If it's the first, then can you not just allow more than one call on the trunk group,and not have to set up two individual trunks? If both trunks have the same number assigned, then it's not a true DID trunk as each DID member would be unique so that you could send each directly to an extension if desired. It would be more of a hunt group with one common number assigned.

3. JavierT

I've attached a picture of what I'm referring to. Our voicepulse account has two SIP Hostnames we can connect to with identical credentials and the same phone number (the second is literally a backup). We only have one DID with Voicepulse. I can't put a different number in here... thoughts?

Attached Files:

• 3cx.JPG
      3cx.JPG
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

And if you only create only one trunk group but set the Maximum Simultaneous calls to ..2, it won't work for you?

Most VoIP providers allow more than one call (up to whatever you are paying for, over one trunk group with one registration (single billing number). You may want to talk you your provider about this, they may be able to clarify.

5. JavierT

leejor,

We have a single DID trunk that allows 4 simultaneous calls.

The second trunk we want to put in is literally just a failover trunk, same DID, same user/pass, just a different hostname. It's used for failover in case the primary host goes down, the second one takes over.

6. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

This sounds like a very simple issue.
    First and foremost you don't have 2 TRUNK accounts but 2 VoIP provider accounts (first is IP auth. based, the second requires login). With that said, you create the first VoIP provider account (call it account1) eneter all the loging parameters needed, you can use whatever you want as External number... Create the second one in the same fashion, THEN and only then configure your DID numbers, check both trunks in the PORT selection window. If you need Source ID verification under the VoIP provider profile don't forget to add the DIDs in there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. JavierT

I actually received a reply from technical support indicating what I am requesting cannot be done and that I should post it as a feature request.

Charles I don't believe we're on the same page.

We have an account with Voicepulse where we pay for one SIP trunk that has one DID, and allows for four simultaneous calls. We only have the one DID, nothing else.

Voicepulse gives you two hostnames to use. One is the primary, and the other, as they call it, is the redundant trunk in case the first one goes down. We have set this up before with Elastix, and a test run within a Cisco UC320 box. Worked fine, both trunks showed "registered" on voicepulse's site.

They both use the SAME DID, and the same authentication information.

3CX errors if you try to enter in the same DID or even the same authentication user ID, it simple does not allow it.

I will make it a 3CX feature request, no worries.

8. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Javier:

I am sorry but I think that YOU don't understand. We do it all the time. Our clients have triple registration on 3 servers of their choice nationwide, same user ID, same password. We do this because IF one of our server is down the DID transport is automatically transferred to another server. The ONLY thing you cannot do is use the same EXTERNAL number. You can fake them anyway without any adverse effect (perhaps outbound caller ID if you goof that up).

Example, you can register against, newyork.sigmavoip.com, chicago.sigmavoip.com and atlanta.sigmavoip.com concurrently, your DID is first homed in NY, during failover we re-home it automatically to chicago and so on. 3CX works flawlessly with that as is.

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. JavierT

You may do it all the time, but it just doesn't work for me.

If I put in a second VOIP Provider with the same authentication ID, I cannot move forward.

Attached so you see what I mean.

Attached Files:

10. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Javier:

Are you using the SAME external number on both???

11. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Javier:

OK, it appears that with the latest service packs this has changed and I will immediately contact 3CX to report the issue as it affects us greatly. Clearly one can use the same user ID with several different providers and this is certainly a bad change.

Thank you for pointing that out but I can assure you that this is something new.

12. infoalan

Sigma:

Can you let us know what they say?

Having the secondary (or in your case tertiary) connections is obviously very critical. Since you are doing exactly the same thing and now it doesn't work, I think you "get" how important it is.

The ability to use the same /user/password/DID credential but to two or more different SIP servers.

ServerA.myvoip.com
    ServerB.myvoip.com
    ServerC.myvoip.com

But all three are same DID and credentials. Works with Cisco, Elastic, Asterisk, FreePBX...

Sounds like it DID work for you in prior version so VERY curious what's up.

Thanks!

13. JavierT

Thanks Charles, thought I was going crazy there for a second.

Also to answer your earlier question, since we only have one DID, we did try just using the same external number on both.. but on the picture I posted I used a fake number to get past that error and see if it would take a second ID.

That being said, when I initially set things up, I did not have the 1 in front of our DID and calls would fail until I corrected that. So I'm not sure I'll be able to fake it to work either even if the auth ID issue is resolved.

I don't have that error message in front of me anymore though to share it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.